Monday, July 20, 2009

The Undisputed Tooth

Monday July 20th, 2009 - Chicago, IL

What’s THE absolute last thing I want to deal with in my complicated life right now? Is it a violent uncontrollable outbreak of explosive diarrhea? Nope. How about a case of the cooties? Sorry. Maybe it’s a blind date with a transvestite orangutan? Guess again. Of all the things I can’t stand dealing with, dental pain is my worst nightmare. That‘s the killer.

I’ve had enough of that for six lifetimes but it looks like I’m getting another large dose for good measure. I broke yet another filling today and it’s pure and absolute torture right now. It’s broken off right at the gum line and the throbbing pain reminds me I’m alive on a planet I still can’t figure out. I thought I’d be over this by now but it just keeps coming.

I couldn’t get a dental appointment today so I’ll have to wait until 7pm tomorrow when they can squeeze me in at my dentist’s office. I really respect him and would rather he get the business but I have no idea where I’m going to get the money to pay him. This stinks.

No matter how much I whine, moan, piss or complain it isn’t going to change anything. It happened. Now I have to fix it. There’s never a good time for something like this but it is especially rotten timing because of the Craig Ferguson appearance. That’s my focus or at least it was until I heard my tooth snap. That got my complete and undivided attention.

I have no idea how much damage there is but right now it’s as painful as I’ve had in my mouth since the 4th of July last year when I ended up having to have a root canal for more money than I think should be spent for two cars. If it’s that again I’m going to be screwed.

I know I just wrote a few days ago how things were getting positive and I’m trying to be that way now but I have to be honest and say it isn’t easy. I wish all this could be over and done with and I could have a few years of enjoyment but there’s never a guarantee of that.

Then I get an email today from my new friend Juliette that CBS has changed it back so I’m once again on Friday the 24th as it was in the first place. I don’t even want to start my thoughts on that because I just sent out a notice saying it was changed in the first place.

Now I’m going to look like a bigger idiot by switching it back again even though I have nothing to do with it and none of it was my call. My tooth hurts so badly I don’t want it to cloud my thinking and I’m going to let it rest for a while until I get to the dentist and have this taken care of. Whether I ever get on TV or not this is a problem that won’t heal itself.

I remember reading a story where David Letterman’s pickup truck blew a transmission right as he got his television deal. One minute he was worried about how he’d be able to get his transmission fixed and the next he was signing a network television deal. Strange.

Maybe it’ll be that way for me too. Or not. I have no idea right now other than my tooth is throbbing harder by the minute. I’m going to get some sleep if I can and start tomorrow to see if I can actually find out what the true air date is. This sure wasn’t what I expected.

No comments: