Monday, July 13, 2009

Red Light Reroute

Sunday July 12th, 2009 - Lake Villa, IL

Everything seems to be on hold in my life right now. I feel like I’m waiting for a cosmic red light to change to green so I can advance to my next adventure. Maybe I should smack the GPS and see if it will give me a hint as to where I should go and what path is the best.

I’ve got a lot of projects not really going anywhere and that needs to change. I think I’d rather risk crashing and burning going somewhere than running out of gas at a red light. It involves a lot more risk to be in motion but I’ve never been afraid to roll the dice of life.

One thing that’s fallen off the map is my Craig Ferguson appearance. I can’t figure out a reason why it hasn’t aired yet but I’m sure there is one. I could speculate all kinds of stuff but I’d probably be wrong. Someone asked me out there for a reason and I have witnesses that saw me physically do my set so now it’s a matter of the segment airing on the show.

This is a delicate situation. Do I keep pestering them about it? That doesn’t sound like a wise option but I’ve seen people do it over and over again. Many times the squeaky wheel really does get the grease but that’s never been my style. Maybe I need to evolve that way.

A management deal would be the logical solution to this but that’s delicate too. I’d need a manager I could trust and that also believes in me as an artist or at least a creative entity. The term ‘art’ and standup comedy don’t automatically go hand in hand. I don’t think I’m doing anything that’s going to change the world. All I want to do is make people laugh.

I want to make as many people laugh as possible with whatever talent I’ve been blessed with and that’s not happening to my satisfaction. Nothing against Hannibal, MO but next time I go there I want to make it worth my while or I don’t want to go there. No offense.

Jeff Foxworthy was very generous to turn me on to his management company. I’ve been waiting to get the DVD of my Craig Ferguson appearance to send to the people in L.A. so I can maybe have a chance at getting signed by them to represent me. That’s been my plan all along but the weeks have turned into months and everything seems to be at a standstill.

The lady I talked to told me I could ‘send a package’ but I’ve not done that because I’ve been waiting for the segment to air. At this point maybe it will and maybe it won’t but if I wait any longer I think I’m just wasting time. I have to put something together and send it out and at least make contact. There is a lot more to what I can offer than 4½ minutes.

I know I’m not a 22 year old up and coming stud who looks like Brad Pitt. I’m an aging road warrior who’s loaded with experience and can rock a live room with the best of them but that might not be what they’re looking for these days. Too bad, as that’s all I’ve got.

Hopefully, talent and ability and the paying of dues will be rewarded but I know there is absolutely ZERO guarantees of any of that happening. I have to be the one to make that a reality and sitting around waiting for it won’t get it done. Time to try another approach.

No comments: