Friday, July 3, 2009

A Case Of The Willies

Thursday July 2nd, 2009 - Lake Villa, IL

I was in a pretty good space most of the day until I read a very disturbing article in USA Today that really set my head to spinning. It was in the sports section and featured former Green Bay Packer Willie Davis and talked about how many former athletes who’ve had a second career after sports are having financial troubles. His story was covered in detail.

Apparently he lost millions in the real estate fiasco in California and he also owns a few radio stations across the country, most notably in Milwaukee. I met Willie when I worked at 93QFM back in 1991. There was some racial tension in the city due to a nut bag wacko alderman named Michael McGee who said he was going to start shooting white people.

Our program director thought it would be a good idea to simulcast an event where some listeners from both stations would get together and spell out ‘Milwaukee’ in the middle of a field. I didn’t see how that would stop any shootings but I had no choice. I had to attend.

About 14 people showed up and the event was a complete waste of time but I did get to meet Willie Davis who showed up to see what it was about. He’s got enormous hands and when he grabbed mine to shake it I think it went past my elbow. The guy has a presence.

I always really respected him for his intense work ethic. He never missed a game in the NFL and was an All Pro and a Hall of Famer. That’s no small accomplishment but then it ended and instead of complaining he got a degree from the University of Chicago and was off to success in the business world. He bought a beer distributorship and then tried radio.

I’ve heard all kinds of Willie Davis radio stories over the years and some people didn’t like working for him but he ran successful stations in L.A. and Milwaukee. I was a fan of his WLUM a lot more than I was of 93QFM where I worked. He ran a profitable entity.

That’s what was so disturbing about the article. If anyone was NOT a loafer or a whiner and was the epitome of what a work ethic was all about it was Willie Davis. If he’s broke I know we’re in a lot of trouble in this country. The article said a lot of former athletes are scraping the barrel right now and they weren’t talking about the overpaid wanks of today.

What the hell is happening to our country? What incentive is there to have a work ethic for 40 years like a Willie Davis and many others and sacrifice everything only to have the banks collapse and everything else along with it? Something totally wrong is happening.

I hope Willie enjoyed what he did all these years. I’m sure he’s probably not going to be sleeping in a pup tent but losing several million dollars can’t be pleasant. I don’t see why it was necessary in the first place. It seems that once again the hard worker gets burned.

What about all the bums and leakers that partied for those 40 years? Willie thought he’d earned some security when in fact he busted his butt for bupkis. That really made me look again at what I’m doing and further decide to do what I love and follow my inner passion.

No comments: