Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Favor From A Friend

Monday March 29th, 2010 - Chicago, IL

One of the main dents in my can is issues with trust. I don’t deny it, and as much as I try to work through it I know it’s there. I’ve been scorched so many times by so many people in life from my parents on down, it’s difficult to accept it when someone does me a favor.

I do all kinds of favors for all kinds of people and I’m proud of that. If I see someone in need I usually try to do whatever is in my power to make their situation better. I even pick up hitch hikers, within reason of course. If they look like Charles Manson’s mean brother I’ll pass them by but more often than not I’ll pick them up and try to throw them a bone.

Most times I’ll tell them right when they get in my car that I’m trying to help them and I wouldn’t appreciate being stabbed or shot so if they’re going to do it I tell them to do it as quickly as possible to get it over with. So far, nobody has. If it ever does happen, at least I know I took the time to think of others before myself and that‘s what life should be about.

Once in a while someone is very grateful, and those are the ones it’s a pleasure to help. I wish it happened more often than it does, but that’s life. I don’t help others to give myself an ego boost. If it comes, that’s great, but the real reason to do it is it’s just the right thing to do. It doesn’t matter who it is. I’ll hold a door open for anyone, not just the sexy babe.

That being said, my friend Shelley really helped me today by cleaning up the viruses on my computer, and I couldn’t be any more grateful to her for it. She’s off from her job for a few days and the last thing she needed to do was help me out, but she totally did. I took my infected piece of plastic over to her like a sick baby and she went to work and fixed it.

Her husband Bob knows a lot about computers too so together they went back and forth on how to find what was wrong, but whatever they did worked. It took a few hours to find out what it was, but I didn’t have a choice. I had things to do, but this was most important so I had to wait it out. I was just thrilled that they were willing to help me so I kept quiet.

I originally took it in for an estimate at the store where I bought it and they quoted me a price of between $400-$500, depending on how quickly I needed it. They said it probably was a three day job but if I needed it in a day it was $100 more. I wasn’t prepared to have to pay that, and I’m even more grateful I didn’t have to. Shelley did it for the right reason.

She’s a helper just like I am, and she’s gotten burned too. I told her how thankful I was to her and Bob and I meant it, and she blew it off just like I usually do. “It’s no big thing” she said. But it was. It was a HUGE thing, and now I’m back up on the internet highway. Whatever my quirks are with trust, Shelley came through. I feel like I owe her in return.

While we were waiting for the virus scans, Shelley also helped me get myself a page on Facebook for both Schlitz Happened and The King of Uranus. I’ve been meaning to get it done for months now, but today was the day. I will now start building networks of people who like each project, and be able to market to them better. Thanks Shelley! I owe you.

1 comment:

ComedyShel said...

You know you owe me nothing...but you're welcome, my friend! :0)