Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Ideas Of March

Monday March 15th, 2010 - Lake Villa, IL

There’s a great little joint not far from where I live called Olando’s. It’s divided up into two halves, one is an ice cream parlor and the other has about a dozen tables with a top to bottom solid menu with mostly Italian food. It’s very reasonable and I’ve never had a bad meal there. It’s become a highlight of living in this area and I go there as often as I can.

One of their specialties is a crab meat salad, and it absolutely rocks. It’s huge and full of crab meat and vegetables and comes with fresh cheese and delicious home made dressing. I know there’s cheese on it, but there are also vegetables and all in all it’s pretty healthy.

I ordered one up today and sat around with a pen and pad and sketched out my plans for the immediate future. I’ve got a ton of projects on the table and it’s easy to get lost or out of sync. I know how I am, and distraction is my main downfall. Rather than let it keep on happening, I want to have a detailed plan in place so I can keep growing no matter what.

That’s going to involve delegating tasks and having teams in place and I’m kind of on a path to do that, but sometimes I still wander. There are some very solid people in place to collaborate with, and this is absolutely the most exciting time of my entire life. I’m on the brink of doing whatever it is I’m going to be known for, even if it’s an exploding failure.

I’m willing to risk that because I don’t think it’s going to happen. If it does, I can easily deal with it. What I can’t accept is not trying, and giving it my very best effort. I’m doing a lot of things right, but I can also use a lot of improvement. Time is limited and always a factor. It’s getting harder to squeeze everything in because my array of interests is so vast.

Too bad, that’s the situation I have. I’m now 47 years old and time is ticking away on a daily basis. It is for everyone, but I hear it a lot louder at 47 than I did at 27. It’s a limited resource for sure. I don’t want to waste any of it doing something that isn’t on my list of worthwhile endeavors. This is the time to stop talking and make my dreams come to life.

Some of them already are. I’m a solid standup comic and I’ve always wanted to be that since the first time I stepped on a stage. If I could have seen the act I’d become back then I would’ve been extremely pleased. Looking back, I actually exceeded my expectations.

Now I want to take it a whole lot higher. I’ve got a new CD on the way, and it should be in my hands and ready to sell in about a week. That project dangled way too long, and it’s a sore spot because I just didn’t get it out fast enough for my liking. I could complain, but there aren’t many to blame besides me. I could have handled this better, and I wish I had.

That’s the main reason I had my own little personal summit today. I crunched my salad and crunched numbers of the time and effort it would take to crank out all the fun things I want to get to before I croak. Maybe I will, maybe I won’t, but at least I’m putting a plan together in my head that will trickle down onto paper and into a notebook which I’ll carry with me and look at on a daily basis. Thoughts really are things, and I’m thinking clearly.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thats amazing u wrote that urself...i was just sitting here thinking the same thing, except the 47 im 27..and i still havent got my life together...

Dobie 'Mr. Lucky' Maxwell said...

Well, good luck Laura. You've got a twenty year head start on me. Hope you figure it out before then. :)