Saturday, September 3, 2011

An Organized Mess

Thursday September 1st, 2011 - Fox Lake, IL

   More meetings, more new people and old ones in new roles, more progress. I’m making a lot of forward motion right now, and it‘s a thrill. My life still has major flaws that are in need of attention, but at least now it’s a mess with a direction. Before, it was just a mess.

   Organization has always been difficult for me for whatever reason. It doesn’t come easy like it seems to for some people, and that’s just how it is. I’ve been in people’s house with nothing out of place, even in the garage, and wonder how they do that. I check into a hotel room and within ten minutes it looks like Van Halen was partying in it during a hurricane.

   I’ve always blamed it on me being left handed, but that’s probably a lame excuse. There must be some left handed person somewhere who’s a neat freak, I just haven’t run across that person yet. I know it isn’t me. My brain is like a blender stuck on perpetual ‘puree’.

   But, this is a new month in a new era of my life and I refuse to lie down and let this get the best of me. I know it’s been a problem and I know I need to work hard to improve my organizational and time management skills. Period. It won’t happen overnight, or I’d have found a way to conquer it by now. I have to take small calculated steps to turn it around.

   A major reason I’m disorganized is that I’ve moved so many times. I’ve still got stuff in storage from my last move, and that’s frustrating. I haven’t had time to get to it, because I haven’t made time. Who wants to rifle through boxes of random junk? Maybe American Pickers, but not me. In a perfect world, I’d have a few clothes, my computer, and that’s it.

   I love books and music and movies, but that’s all available on a computer. I’ve lost my appetite for material things. They just aren’t important. Life isn’t about that. I  remember how my grandmother used to cherish her ‘pretties’ as she used to call them, which were a collection of plates. When she died, nobody wanted them and they went to the Goodwill.

   It wasn’t wrong for her to collect them, but she never enjoyed them. We never had any meals with them, they just sat there on the wall. The same with her furniture. I never got to sit on any piece of furniture in the living room until after she was in a nursing home.

   I’d much rather have had Sloppy Joes on a paper plate and sat on a folding chair if we could have had fun as a family playing Monopoly or something. That never happened and now not only is she gone, so are her beloved pretties. They didn’t matter to anyone else.

   I don’t have any pretties, but I do have piles of unorganized papers and books and who knows what else that need to be sorted, organized and most of it tossed. It’s just a matter of knowing what few things to save, and that’s why I have to go through it all to find out.

   I’m going to make a conscious effort to just get it done and not let it get so out of hand again. I think I’m going to do it too. Everything else in my life is improving by leaps and bounds, why not this too? Why couldn’t I have been on this positive of a roll years ago?

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: