Monday, September 19, 2011

Packers Win, Bears Lose!

Sunday September 18th, 2011 - Fox Lake, IL/Chicago, IL

   Packers win, Bears lose. There’s a recipe for a fine day if I ever heard one. I don’t care if it shouldn’t make a difference in the big picture of life, and it shouldn’t, it still puts me in a merry mood. Does that make me a silly superficial shallow soulless snob? So be it.

   One of the few things I don’t like about living where I do is that I don’t get a chance to catch my beloved Packers when they’re on local TV. I’m closer to the Wisconsin border than I am Chicago, but I’m stuck with Chicago TV stations and have to watch the Bears.

   On days like today, it’s nothing but pleasure. I was hard at work sorting through boxes but I had the Bears on TV and the Packers on the radio and both games went exactly how I wanted them to go. What a great day. It was like making love to two beautiful women at the same time. Not that that would ever happen to Mr. Lucky, but can’t I dream a little?

   The Packers were down at halftime, but I had to believe they’d make a strong comeback against a team with a rookie quarterback and first year head coach. Experience tends to be the difference, and the Packers had a major advantage in that department. And it showed.

   They’re really looking good, and I’m thrilled to see it. Old farts like me still have horrid flashbacks of the ‘70s and ‘80s teams that were so disappointing, so this is pure heaven to be savored every week. I also had to sit through the misery of the Bears being great in the ‘80s, and it still makes me sick. Every time I see the Super Bowl Shuffle, I get nauseous.

   That’s why today was so fantastic. Watching the Bears get their asses handed to them is pleasant enough, but to have the Packers on the radio at the same time playing so well is a hard combination to beat. It was like surf and turf - I don’t know which one I liked better.

   Then there was the delicious dessert of listening to the post game radio show on WSCR ‘The Score’ with former Bears players Ed O’Bradovich and Doug Buffone. I respect them both as former players and broadcasters, and they really know their stuff, but after a Bears loss it’s some of the most entertaining radio I’ve ever heard. They whine like school girls.

   Then, they take calls from listeners who piss and moan even more. I can’t decide which I enjoy more, the pissing or the moaning. Maybe I get such a kick out of it because I know what it’s like to be frustrated by life and it’s a refreshing change to observe someone else.

   Whatever the case, I had an entire day of guilty pleasure, and I loved every second of it. There will be other days where it’s exactly the opposite and the Packers will lose and the Bears will win, and I’ll be miserable. That’s ok. I’ll shut off the radio and find something productive to do and the sting will go away as I get lost in my task. I’ve done that before.

   But not today. This was a day to cherish, and I am. Not only that, I had a terrific show at Zanies in Chicago tonight and didn’t even have to bring up football. They all knew. And I knew they knew. Next week the teams play each other, and that could be heaven or hell.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: