Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Prioritizing Uranus

Monday July 2nd, 2012 – Fox Lake, IL

    It dawned on me today that even if I live another fifty years, I’ve got all the projects I will ever need to keep me busy night and day the entire time. I don’t know if I want to live that long, but if I do I have no reason to ever be bored. As always, the hard part will be squeezing everything in.

   Today I started reassessing all the things I’d like to achieve both the rest of 2012 and the rest of my life, and once again disappointingly realized I won’t come close to getting to almost any of it. I’ve always had big dreams, and that usually leads to big letdowns for most people. Does anyone ever get a chance to really fulfill their potential? I’ll bet a lot more don’t then ever do. How sad.

   I don’t want to be sad. I want to be happy, and to me happiness comes directly from doing. I’ve managed to pull off a lot of outrageous fun things in my life, and even if they weren’t recognized on a large scale by millions of people I’m still satisfied with the spirit of adventure that went into them. I think we all have a little bit of Indiana Jones in us, and it takes guts to actually go after it.

   I have had no shortage of guts in my life, but I have to admit brains and having a workable plan of attack have fallen painfully short. All of that added together has gotten me to where I am now, and if I want to change anything it has to come from within. That’s what I’m trying to figure out.

   With the limited time and resources I possess, what are the absolute smartest moves I can make to get the most out what I do have? That’s not a simple equation, but one I think we all should be looking to solve. I used to think everything would just work out by itself, but that’s total insanity.

   Nothing could be further from the truth. There has to be a plan in place, and THEN it will work or it won’t. Luck has a factor in it, and some are luckier than others, but in the end I believe what really matters is how a person behaves over the long haul. Persistence really does work wonders.

   There are no easy solutions to anything, and struggle can be very good if it challenges someone to think of ways to overcome it. If there’s one thing I’ve been blessed with its plenty of struggles, so now it’s time to put a plan in place and see what I’ll be able to get done. I need to prioritize all the things I really want and go after those. Everything else will have to wait for another lifetime.

   There will be books I’ll never read and places I’ll never see, and as much as that really saddens me I’ll have to accept it. There will also be BILLIONS of people who will never see me perform comedy live or hear me on the radio. I can’t worry about them. I have to focus on those who will.

   That’s what I’m doing now. Who will most likely enjoy what I do, and how can I find a way to get myself in front of them? I’m looking at all my resources for the way to do it best. I have a lot of tough decisions to make as to what gets done and what doesn’t, but I just can’t get to all of it.

   Uranus is still my priority. I am the King of Uranus, and nobody is challenging me for the title. What exactly that entails is still a mystery however. It’s still a work in progress, but I know that’s what I’m shooting for. If Walt Disney can build an empire with a mouse, I can do it with a king.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: