Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Schedule Squeeze

Tuesday July 17th, 2012 – Rockford, IL/Milwaukee, WI

   This is one of the busiest weeks I can ever remember as far as running around goes. I feel like a one man NASCAR crew, always needing to be behind the wheel but also needing to keep the car running. I could really use a pit crew, but that’s not going to happen this week. I’m on my own.

   The radio experience in Rockford, IL at WNTA is invaluable. I’m getting better every shift as I am working on my interviewing skills, but the shifts have been reallocated and the one I’m doing this week is now 1-3pm instead of noon to 3. That means I get one less hour of pay, but still have to make the drive. That cuts into any kind of profit I can make, so basically I’m doing it for free.

   I guess that’s part of paying dues. If I want the talk host experience – and I do – I have to suck it up and find a way to get there. I also have a comedy class to teach on Wednesday and will not have Bill Gorgo’s help as he has a prior commitment. That’s going to make more work for me as far as preparation goes. I don’t mind working, but this would have been a nice week to have Bill.

   I’m also booked at a club in the Appleton, WI area called ‘The Comedy Quarter’ this weekend and am scheduled to do radio in Appleton on Thursday morning. I’m not sure if they’ll let me do it on the phone, and from my experience they usually won’t. That means I’ll have to drive all the way to Appleton for radio, drive back for radio in Rockford and then back to Appleton that night.

  Then, Friday morning I volunteered to teach a one hour comedy session for a group of kids at a performing camp in South Milwaukee, WI. I don’t mind volunteering my time, but this particular week is going to be extra hectic with everything else going on. After that I have to go back down to Rockford for my last show on the air from 1-3pm, then back to Appleton for two more shows.

   I have two shows on Saturday at The Comedy Quarter, and then have to get back to Kenosha, WI for another Mothership Connection radio show at WLIP. I have a couple of stops to make in Milwaukee on the way down, and I have some friends to see who are having a barbecue Sunday.

   What kind of flaming idiot would try to keep a schedule like this? THIS idiot. Things just keep piling up, and I have to do my best to get them all done. I made the commitments so I can’t bitch. I appreciate the radio experience, and I hear nothing but good things about The Comedy Quarter. I’d love a new room to work in Wisconsin, and hopefully I’ll be able to go back there regularly.

   If nothing else, it’s money this week, and that’s a good thing. Comedy and summer are usually a poor match, but this has been a busy one for me so far to the point of being too busy. But what am I supposed to do? Things come up when they come up, and I have to take them when they do.

   I went up to Milwaukee after the radio show today to meet with my cousin Brett who I haven’t seen in a while. It’s always good to get together with him because he is one of the few I can let it all loose with. We make each other laugh, and it was a good release for both of us. We needed it, as his life is hectic too. It’s getting harder and harder to fit everything in for everybody, and it’s a constant grind to just stay above water. I sure hope I squeeze everything in this week. We’ll see.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: