Friday, March 7, 2008

Montreal Festival

Thursday March 6th, 2008 - Chicago, IL

Back at Zanies tonight for yet another six minute showcase. This one was for the people at the Just For Laughs Comedy Festival in Montreal. It’s a big deal and has been for many years. I believe that’s where Tim Allen was first discovered and it attracts comedy acts of all kinds from all over the world. Industry people go there to find their ‘next big thing’.

I have never been a festival act. There are some comics who become darlings of festival bookers and they are always asked to be there. Montreal is a huge deal as is the HBO one in Aspen, CO. Comedy bigwigs go there and basically have a week of partying and watch showcase after showcase seeing if there are any fresh faces that can make them money.

There are a lot of politics in the entertainment business and I chose not to play the game so I can’t complain that I’m not part of the regular festival circuit. I was too busy working and earning a living all these years to be able to take a week off to go showcase for a few muckety mucks without a guarantee of it ever paying off. Going there is a big lotto ticket.

Some people do get seen there and good for them. Most of the inner circle of comedy is fond of avant garde acts and I’m really not that. My style of comedy plays more to people who are working class but intelligent. I’m not for the masses and not for the elite either. It took me a lifetime of searching to find my audience and I think I’m starting to get it now.

That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t go to Montreal if they asked me but I seriously doubt that I am who they’re looking for. They want someone young and edgy and that’s fine. I’m not upset about it because anytime I get to do a six minute audition set I’m glad to participate.

That’s a skill set that never becomes obsolete and throughout anyone’s comedy career it is always part of getting to the next level. Someone is always looking to see what an act is all about for many reasons. Sometimes it’s for a TV show or a movie role or in my case it led to a radio job at the Loop years ago. The energy of a six minute set is it’s own animal.

I am very high energy in my regular show and it builds over a 45 minute set. By the end I’m usually firing on all cylinders and the audience has bought into my rhythm. Showcase sets are a lot different. I have to get them to that level in one to two minutes rather than all night. I have to establish who I am and what my rhythm is and then try to end on a laugh.

That’s not an easy task and many times I’ve totally screwed it up. I’m getting a lot more comfortable with it though and am learning how to do it much better. Last night I nailed it and tonight I drew number three in the order. The audience was young and judgmental for my closing bit and I heard some gasps at first but I didn’t let up. I worked to the camera.

I was reasonably happy with my set and after the show I shook hands with the guy from the festival. He was friendly and said he thought I was funny I thanked him for the chance and that was it. If he’s interested he’ll contact me but I’m not waiting up for it. It’s all one big crapshoot and eventually the hope is that one person with power will see my potential.

No comments: