Sunday, March 2, 2008

Mothership Radio

Sunday March 2nd, 2008 - Kenosha, WI

The mothership has landed! Today was the big debut of the paranormal radio talk show called ‘The Mothership Connection’ on AM1050 WLIP in Kenosha, WI. I’m one of three co-hosts of the show that will run from 2-4pm. The other two are Jimmy Novack and Stu James. I worked with Jimmy at the Loop in Chicago and Stu is our technical producer.

This is something that has been brewing for a while and I have so many other things on my plate that I didn’t really prepare for it like I probably should have. Jimmy has all kinds of stuff going on too and is very A.D.D. to boot so I knew he wouldn’t be prepared and he wasn’t. Stu is a good guy and very competent but I had never worked with him on the air.

We were all a little apprehensive about what would happen but we’re all radio veterans and know how to perform on the air so we went on at 2pm and started talking about what we said we would. I made a list of 25 topics from alien abductions to Yeti sightings and it started us off on several lines of conversation which flowed pretty well. We pulled it off.

Was it riveting radio? Probably not. Were there moments? Yes. Absolutely. We all had things to contribute and that’s why this idea will work. Jimmy has the energy of a kid and he really loves these topics and I could tell Stu was having fun during the show. I’ll be the one who moves it along and is the anchor but I don’t mind that at all. We have our roles.

Eventually we’ll get guests on the show and that will take effort and organization. I will be responsible for keeping the show going and with all my other things this will be a huge challenge but the fun of it today convinced me it’s worth my time. We’re on a real live on air radio station that has been broadcasting for over fifty years. This is no wannabe thing.

Not a lot of people get the opportunity to have a shot to do something they really enjoy. I’m not worried about the money and that’s good because there is none right now. I guess we could try to get sponsors eventually but the important part for now is to get the flow of a weekly show going and attract some listeners and build a following. I know we’ll do it.

The topics themselves are just too interesting. Who doesn’t want to hear about aliens or ghosts or if there’s life after death? It’s the stuff we all think about and talk about together in a booth at the restaurant. That’s what good radio is too - listening to a hot conversation in the next booth. Sometimes it can be funny or scary but it’s almost always interesting.

This has NOTHING to do with comedy and I know I’m spread pretty thin already but if I can make the show last I’m hoping to use it to promote Uranus Factory Outlet. Who’s a better person to co-host a paranormal talk show than the King of Uranus? That’s going to be a ways off yet but the master plan is to link it all up and make this all tie in together.

Whether that happens or not it was still a big thrill to pull off the first show today. This can work and I’m grateful for the chance to even give it a shot. Next week we’ll be ready to do it again and have more confidence to pull it off. Now we need to find some guests.

1 comment:

Eric said...

Congrats on the new gig. I remember talking about "Coast to Coast AM" every morning with you. It seems like we were the only two in the studio that listened to the show.

Is there a website where I can hear your new show?

Good luck Dobie.