Thursday, March 13, 2008

Pleasant Surprises

Wednesday March 12th, 2008 - Chicago, IL

I didn’t need to be cheered up today but I got it anyway. Everything fell into place and I feel like I am once again in sync with the universe. When I’m in that groove I’m fine but sometimes I get bucked off the horse and have to climb back on it again. But not today.

My friend Drew Olson sent me an email to let me know there was a chair available this morning on his radio show ‘The D List’. I hadn’t been up there in a while and it’s always worth the drive. The guys on the show have always been great to me but today they were extra nice if that’s possible. When I walked in the studio I could see their eyes light up.

I got hearty handshakes and smiles from the guys and also the people who aren’t on the air. I can tell when I’m not welcome in a place but this isn’t it. When Bob and Tom threw me physically out of the studio, THAT was unpleasant. This was like Norm walking into Cheers. I’ve been on before and it’s always laid back but today took it up a notch higher.

Who wouldn’t be in a good mood after that? We had a blast on the air as usual and each time I come on some caller always says something like ‘I think you’re hilarious’ and it’s a fantastic feeling because I know they mean it. This makes the drive north totally worth it.

After the show Drew and I grabbed a quick lunch at a nice pub near the station and for a change I ordered something healthy. I had a chicken teriyaki sandwich and a salad and did not have a soda. That’s one meal down and the rest of my life to go but it still felt good to do the right thing. One half day will not a lifetime make but it just kept turning out right.

On the way back to Chicago I got a call from Joshua Swanson who is an actor. He and I worked together on some comedy recorded bits when I was at the Loop in 2004. He’s 30 and has a lot of talent and energy and it was a surprise to hear from him. He and his wife are in Chicago filming a movie and wanted to get together for a visit and catch up a little.

He’s hoping to get into standup and asked for my help which I can totally do. He will be able to help me with stuff too and it was good to reconnect with such a positive energetic person. That’s who I want to surround myself with and it was a pleasant surprise to get an unexpected call from him. We hung out for an hour and exchanged ideas and it was fun.

As we were leaving I got a call from Bill Gorgo offering to take me out for my birthday meal. I took him out for his and again it’s always fun to hang out and talk comedy with an old pro like him. Like me he loves it and is a student of the game and we had a great time.

Not only that we went to Red Lobster and I didn’t go nuts there either. It was still fun to hang out and who doesn’t like it when someone buys them a birthday meal? Bill is a good friend and I appreciate him and all my other friends too. Drew Olson is another total ace.

Whatever else has been bad in my life I have a bunch of people I can call friends. That’s worth a lot more than money. Drew and Joshua and Bill all made me feel like I matter.

No comments: