Monday, September 8, 2008

I'm A Packerholic

Monday September 8th, 2008 - Chicago, IL

Packers win. Packers win! Packers WIN!!! Nothing else matters to me right now and to try and think rationally is useless. My childhood pain, my emotional dents and scars and a life long addiction have all surfaced again now that it’s football season. I’m hooked and it feels great that the Packers won without that sniveling goober Brett Favre. I’m in heaven.

There will be other weeks when I’m miserable but I don’t want to think about that now. I want to enjoy the fact that the Green Bay Packers stuck it to the hated Minnesota Purple Pussy Pinhead Patrol and now every Scandanavian ice fisher from Bemidji to Albert Lea is flying their flag at half mast and that makes me feel like I just polkaed up Mt. Everest.

It shouldn’t make a difference to me and I know that and have tried to amputate it from my psyche but alas it keeps coming back like charges against O.J. Simpson. I can’t lose it so I won’t even try. I’m addicted to the Packers and when they win I love it. And they did.

I did hedge my bet though. I hosted the rising star showcase at Zanies in Chicago just in case they would happen to lose. If I’d gone out to a sports bar or drove to a friend’s house to watch the game and they lost I’d be a wreck right now and I also needed the money so I blew off the game but I did get updates throughout the evening and kept up all night long.

This is the one thing I just can’t quit. Those green and gold uniforms hypnotize me and I have to cheer for them even though I am well aware of how stupid I am for doing it. It’s in my innermost core and I am just going to accept it. I’m a Packerholic and I can‘t quit.

One thing I can quit is Jerry’s Kidders on WLS and I’ve been thinking about it recently. I love Jerry Agar and if he needed me for anything I’d be there for him but I’m not sure I am really contributing anything to his show or if we’ll ever be able to turn a buck with it.

Every Monday I get up at 6am and take a train into Chicago at my own expense to be on the radio for about half an hour. There are two other comics I have to share that time with and there are commercials in there too. Plus a news report. There isn’t that much time for any one of us and to use up what could be a productive work day just isn’t worth all that.

This doesn’t seem like my wheelhouse either. Jerry does mostly political news/talk and he’s outstanding at what he does, one of the best in the country. I’m more of a sports guy and I feel way more at home on ESPN Radio 540 in Milwaukee on the D-List with Drew Olson and Dan Needles. That’s home to my real life tastes and I love visiting that show.

I love visiting with Jerry and Ken Sevara and Tim Slagle and Kipper McGee and Maura Myles and everyone else on WLS too but it’s now a question of is it worth it or not? It’s a question that should get answered on November 13th when we do a live show at Zanies in St. Charles at the Pheasant Run Resort. IF we can draw people I’d be thrilled. If not I’ll be very disappointed and talk it over with the guys to see if another comic like a Dale Irvin is a better fit than I am. I want Jerry to win no matter what but that’s for later. GO Packers!!

No comments: