Wednesday, September 3, 2008

It Came From Uranus

Tuesday September 2nd, 2008 - Chicago, IL/Milwaukee, WI

Sometimes I think I have too much freedom. It’s easy to get sidetracked and not get any work done at all and there’s nobody there to reel me in and get me back on track. I have a tendency to wander all over the place and I did today. It wasn’t bad but I need to watch it.

If I’m going to move ahead I need to be on at least some sort of a schedule. Eating when I’m hungry and sleeping when I’m tired is how I’ve gotten accustomed to living but now I need to modify that somewhat. If I’m going to make things happen I have to plan for that.

Today I needed to get my mail in Chicago so I planned out how to make the most of it. I didn’t want to waste the whole day with one trip so I tried to be smart about it. My friend Marc Schultz called and wanted to have lunch and I said yes because I was already on my way into town. I am trying to start eating better so we went to a place that had big salads.

It feels good to know that at least in my mind I’m trying to improve my health and I ate very well all day today. I had a big salad with nothing else and a big glass of water. That’s not going to undo all the junk I’ve been eating for years and years but it’s a start. I’m sure my colon is packed tighter than Dolly Parton’s bra and I need to back off on the red meat.

One thing at a time one step at a time one day at a time. I got my mail and since I was in the city at the right time I called Jerry Agar and picked him up at WLS. We are planning a live one year anniversary show at Zanies in November with the Kidders and we needed to hammer out the details anyway so that was productive on many levels. I’m getting better.

I planned on going back home and getting back to work but my cousin Brett called and I ended up driving to Milwaukee to hang out. We don’t get that much time to hang out so it was worth it. He makes me laugh and he’s very smart so I used him as a sounding board.

Brett has been around for all of my wacked out projects in my life. He was there when I bought the wrestling ring and ran my first show and he used to travel with me when I first started out on the road so he understands my mindset with the Uranus Factory Outlet idea.

I don’t want to say this was a wasted day but I did get distracted from what I thought I’d be doing. I expected to get my mail and even to see Marc but then I thought of Jerry and it spiraled out from there. I had no plans to go to Milwaukee today but then Brett called so I went with it. It’s always fun to see him and I’m glad I went but now I’m off my schedule.

On my way home I passed Gurnee Mills and took my half hour walk. ‘Tropic Thunder‘ was playing at the theatre so I decided to see it. I‘d heard about it and since I already blew the day I figured I‘d check it out. I have never really formed an opinion about Ben Stiller.

Not until tonight. I thought it was the funniest movie I’ve seen in a long time. All of the actors were great and Ben Stiller directed it too. Kudos to him. Much respect and I‘m glad I took time to go. I hope I can make a movie that funny someday. ‘It Came From Uranus’.

No comments: