Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Two Way Respect

Monday September 22nd, 2008 - Chicago, IL

Rodney Dangerfield’s all time classic hook was ‘no respect’ but in actuality he had a lot of it - especially from other comedians. Rodney could spot talent and brought a lot of new comics up the ladder including Sam Kinison, Jim Carrey and a whole flock of others too.

I saw an interview with Roseanne Barr talking about how Rodney was the father figure and mentor to a lot of New York comics when he was around my age and they were all in their 20s. She talked about how much they looked up to him and I could tell she meant it. I looked up to him too and I wasn’t even a comic then. I just knew I was seeing greatness.

When I started in Milwaukee C. Cardell Willis was my mentor. I speak of him often as I think of him often. He instilled the basics of comedy in me that I still use today and I will never forget both his kindness or his lessons. He taught all of us locals how to be comics.

After a long hard road of learning through many mistakes I’m finally starting to feel my own growing degree of respect from the group of new Chicago comics at Zanies. I am an observer of comedy and also still a student and I love being able to be in the mix of all the young talent coming up these days. I love hosting the Monday shows. It keeps me sharp.

It’s been quite a while now since Bert Haas started the showcase nights on Mondays but they’ve really come into their own. Lots of people are using it to build and sharpen an act and that’s part of what it’s for. There are some bright young comics who are really good. I am amazed at both their natural talent and their drive to get better. I was the same way.

I always try to compliment as many of them as I possibly can but I mean what I say. I’m not just pumping sunshine to any of them. I watch their acts and make notes and make it a point to tell them when they’ve done something good rather than just rip them for the bad. I do that too but only when necessary. More often than not I try to just give them a boost.

Well, word is spreading and I now see people who have never met me before come over and say ‘I just wanted to shake your hand. I’ve heard SO much about you.’ I’m absolutely flattered when they do that but they do it more and more. I guess I’m making a difference with someone after all. I’m sure there are those who think I’m a prong but not that many.

It feels REALLY good to have that respect from the younger generation of comics here in Chicago. Most of the older guys wouldn’t talk to me when I started but those who did I cherish even today. Hopefully I will be the same way to at least some of these people and in the future when I’m senile and drooling maybe some will still remember me fondly.

There is a good energy in Chicago with comics like Hannibal Burress and Adam Burke and Bryan Berrey and Tony Talley and a whole lot more who I won’t name because I will forget someone and I don’t want to do that. I like and respect these people and I know the process they are going through so if I can be an encouraging ‘big brother’ type I’ll do that because I know how good it feels to have someone who has done it take time to share it.

Tonight’s show was packed with strong acts and I just sat back and enjoyed how far all of them have come since I’ve met them. I doubt if I had much to do with any of them but if I was able to offer even slight encouragement than I’ve done my job. They were great.

Azhar Usman is a Muslim-American comic who’s part of a tour called ‘Allah Made Me Funny’ along with my old Milwaukee cohort Preacher Moss. Azhar looks like a terrorist with long shoulder length hair and a full beard and dark skin and of course he jokes about it but WOW has he come a long way in a short time. He’s really got his groove working.

His ten minute set tonight was hilarious, well paced but also had a message too. I sat in awe as he went up and bowled the crowd over and I had to shake his hand and tell him. It lit up his whole being and he deserved it. He has always made it a point to say how much I influenced and encouraged him when he started but he’s taken it a long way on his own.

Jena Friedman is another gem. Not only is she stunningly beautiful she’s very dark with her humor and it’s a fantastic mix. She just moved to New York and I predict big success for her in a short time. Tina Fey is gorgeous, smart and funny and so is Jena Friedman.

Beth Stelling is another whiz kid who is deeply talented. She’s only been doing comedy just under a year and she’s WAY ahead of the curve already. She needs seasoning but she knows it and seeing her go up and let it rip tonight was a treat also. I was very impressed.

Ken Schultz is a twenty-something skinny white kid with a deep baritone voice that has all the women swooning. He’s got funny jokes too and he is an up and comer. Closing the show tonight was a kid out of Indiana named Brian Aldridge. He opened for me just a few years ago and was just ok but he’s grown a lot since then and tonight he brought the heat.

These are all comics who are coming into their own and I want to print their names now because I can see all of them doing something good if they stick around. I sure do hope all of them do because the more of them that hit it big the better chance I have to be a mooch and beg them for a job. These newbies are breathing down my neck and I admire them all.

I needed a good night because I thought our Jerry’s Kidders segment on WLS was very weak this morning. The stories weren’t that strong and we were all over the place and it’s the luck of the odds. Not every show can be stellar and some are better than others. Today I thought we mangled it and were talking over each other and wasn’t happy with it at all.

Then walking out of the studio I had a sales guy say ‘Sounding GREAT in there today!’ I smiled and said thanks and then someone else said it too. Like I’ve been saying for the last few days - it doesn’t really matter if we stunk or not. People perceived us to be funny.

I was embarrassed at how bad we were but I could tell those people were sincere so the thing to do is smile and thank them and that’s what I did. It’s not about me or us, it’s the people listening. If they liked it, we’re golden. Today they liked it. I don’t get it but that’s how it worked out. The older I get the wackier the world gets. At least Zanies was good.

No comments: