Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Magic Formula

Friday May 8th, 2009 - Chicago, IL

I found the magic formula! Actually I’ve always known it but today is when I officially put it into action. I combed through all of the contacts I’ve ever made and compiled a list of people that I think are creative and/or funny and/or both and could possibly contribute to the Jerry’s Kidders bit on WGN. I took my time and really thought about my choices.

Some of them were comedians and some weren’t. Some were in radio and others were ex comedy students and some were just funny people I’ve met in my travels. I know for a fact a lot of people love the process but have no desire or natural ability to be comedians.

To those people being funny is a hobby. They compile jokes and may actually come up with a few good ones themselves but they don’t know how to share them with anyone. A few get published in Reader’s Digest and that’s great but most of their jokes will just rot.

These are the kinds of people that are going to make Jerry’s Kidders great. I sent out my list and it had about 85 people on it. Within about three hours I’d heard from 73 of those people who overwhelmingly said things like “YES - I’ve been waiting for something like this. Put me on your list!” I haven’t had even one no out of all those people. It’s amazing.

Granted, I hand picked that list from a lifetime of contacts but I could just sense a major hunger for something like this in which they could participate. It’s a challenge and kind of like a crossword puzzle in a way. Creative minds like challenges and I was pleased to find that so many of the people I chose were so gung ho about it. I wasn’t sure what to expect.

We’ve had some success on the radio in Chicago for over a year and that’s no small feat but it was only us slugging it out ourselves. We had a blast and did fine but now with this group of talented and creative people behind us from all over North America we’ll put out a MUCH better product in a very short period of time. This is going to be a turning point.

There’s no way we’ll be able to use everyone’s jokes but eventually we’ll make THEM a part of the show. Jerry can read some of the submitted jokes not only by the people that I chose but from others who will find us along the way. We’ll be the clearing house of all the aspiring jokers from not only Chicago but all over the country. We‘ll be their funnel.

Part of Johnny Carson’s success formula was that he shared the spotlight. He’d let some other person shine but the next night they were gone and Johnny was still on doing it over again with someone else. He was secure in his own skin and it worked for thirty years.

That’s what Jerry needs to become. We’re in the studio as the panel of comedians but a whole lot more comics and writers and fans of comedy will be listening and maybe even calling in and sharing their jokes. Almost everyone has ONE good joke. We’ll take them.

I was pleasantly surprised at the positive response I received from all those talented and creative people. We won’t exploit them and in fact I look forward to sharing the spotlight.

No comments: