Monday, May 4, 2009

A Smart Investment

Sunday May 3rd, 2009 - Long Grove, IL

A few weeks ago I joined the Lake County, IL Convention and Visitors Bureau because I thought it was a good way to get my name in front of people who normally wouldn’t see it. I was told it was a stupid investment and a waste of money by several people I like and trust but I still did it anyway. It seemed like the correct fit for me so I made my decision.

Today it paid off even faster than I thought it would. I am scheduled to attend a meeting on May 14th and be introduced as a new member but I received a call this week to work as an emcee for ‘Chocolate Fest’ in Long Grove, IL. It’s an annual event and they have a fun contest where people build houses out of graham crackers, frosting, marshmallows, etc.

They had a last minute opening apparently and they asked if I’d do it. I’m a very strong emcee and I can do those things in my sleep so I said yes. It’s a huge event and the place was packed. I had to get a special VIP parking pass and everything. I felt like a celebrity.

The whole thing wasn’t more than an hour and the mayor of Long Grove was one of the judges. She was very nice as were all the other people I met and I knew I made the correct decision to join the group. I made some of my money back for an easy gig and I will meet a lot of people over the course of this next year. I passed out cards and shook some hands.

A huge lesson I’m learning over and over is that it doesn’t matter if I’m the best one for the job. I have to be the first one someone thinks about when the job comes up. There’s a BIG difference and I’m learning how to differentiate myself. This was a perfect example.

A whole lot of people could have handled the gig today. It was pretty easy and nobody’s career was on the line. It was a few bucks for having fun but I was the one who got asked to do it. THAT is what I need to keep finding a way to do. That’s the true key to success.

Investing in joining the bureau was a good move. I’m sure others can be a waste of time and money but these guys seem to have their act together and it feels right. I will prove to be easy to deal with and do a great job and when these things come up again I will be the ONLY one they think of and it will be mine to turn down. I’ll win in this numbers game.

This is exactly what being on WGN radio will do for Jerry’s Kidders. That’s not usually a station that showcases comedians and especially not locals so getting our name out will be a chance to pick up all kinds of things like this. It‘s a chance to get some awareness.

This is where all those years of experience can pay off. I’ve been put in every situation imaginable and nothing fazes me at this point. I can host a chocolate festival one hour and do a full comedy set the next. Chicago is a huge city and there’s a lot of work to be had.

This is the business part of show business that I’m finally starting to grasp. It’s not work at a comedy club but the money spends the same and it’s not difficult to do. This is how a person survives as an entertainer and I’ve been able to do it a lot longer than most others.

2 comments:

JChaseComedy said...

Great post. You are exactly right, that was a smart move to join the group and even smarter to take the gig on a last moment notice. You recognized the business aspect and that sometimes being on the tip of someone's brain is better than being the most experienced talent that nobody thinks about.

What did Woody Allen say? 90% of success is showing up.

Now that you did the last minute fill-in for the group, when you go the May 14th meeting, let them know that you do emcee work for all kinds of organizations. Many of those people are members of other organizations that may need your services.

Also, make sure you thank the leader again for asking you. I'm sure there is a regional and national branch of that organization and you want to let them know you are a nationally touring comedian who can emcee larger events. Add it to your online resume. Use this as a springboard to more corporate gigs - they pay better than club dates!

Dobie 'Mr. Lucky' Maxwell said...

I appreciate you taking time not only to read my daily ramblings but also to comment on them so eloquently. I already did send that thank you before I read it but you are totally right. I'm getting better but it sure did take a lot of years to do it. :)