Monday, November 2, 2009

Nothing Is 4 Ever

Sunday November 1st, 2009 - Pittsburgh, PA/Kenosha, WI

Well, the Purple Satan got his revenge on Green Bay. Big whoop-de-doo. I hope he’s finally happy, because apparently the blind worship of an entire state for 16 years wasn’t quite enough. He had to whine and suck his thumb like a baby but now that baby got his wish. I’m glad I didn’t watch even one play of it, as I was driving back from Pittsburgh.

It’s amazing how things that appear to be locked in stone in life can get reversed and go in exactly the opposite direction. I was a supporter of Brett Favre, along with every other Packer fan, both rabid and casual. Even other fans had to respect his talent, and they did.

I still respect the guy’s talents. Who doesn’t? On paper, he will go down as one of if not THE best football player that ever suited up in the NFL. That’s impressive, and it doesn’t matter what he did personally. But it does. He pissed off millions of people by the way he handled this situation, even though his team won the game today. I’m not a fan anymore.

If you’d have bet me ten years ago I’d be cheering against Brett Favre, I’d have taken it and laughed in your face. I’d NEVER cheer against the Holy #4. He was the man and that was Green Bay gospel. Then he had to pull his little crybaby stunt and it changed the way a lot of people looked at him, including me. Now I have a completely opposite opinion.

I’m still blown away by how this happens, but it’s not the first time. When I was a kid I absolutely despised Muhammad Ali. I wanted him to lose every fight and shut his mouth, but he never did. I thought he was a braggart and a loudmouth, and he was. What I didn’t appreciate then was he was also a brilliant showman and amazing athlete, but I do now.

I think Muhammad Ali was the greatest athlete of the 20th century, which is a complete departure from what I used to think but my perspective changed. I admire the guy’s work in the ring and out and wish I could have enjoyed it back then rather than be reviled by it.

There are a few other examples too. When Steve Martin got hot in the ‘70s, I didn’t get what was so funny about him for the life of me. I tried to like him, but it didn’t sink in for whatever reason. Most of my friends loved him and I couldn’t understand why I was in a minority of one. Now, I can appreciate him and really think he was brilliant, but not then.

Married couples who divorce have the same feeling. At one time they are ready to live a life together, or at least they think they are. In all the world, they’ve found ONE partner to share life’s journey. Then, that person becomes a hated rival and their number one enemy. What used to be a relationship is now a battleship, and the roles are completely reversed.

This has happened a couple of times of note in my life recently. My ex business partner and I were friends for many years, or at least I thought we were. We got along quite nicely for a long time, but then he not only cleaned out the bank account, he started up doing the exact same business I taught him how to do. He took what I taught him and stuck it in my face and he went from confidant to competitor immediately. It still doesn’t make sense.

Then there’s this whole ugly mess with Giggles and Funny Business. I thought we had a very strong working relationship, but I guess I was wrong. When it came down to proving it, they both leaked out. I did what I said I would, a week of shows for low pay. I’d shown a lot of good faith over the years to both of them, but never had it shown back in return.

I used to look forward to going back and working there, but one bounced check ruined a lot of things. Now, I have a really bad taste in my mouth about them as people. I know the feeling is mutual, and it’s all really wrong in my opinion. I think all of this is wasted time.

What put this whole day into perspective was a story I read in the in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette this morning. A 37 year old mother of three was walking home with her children after grocery shopping and walked over a train track. One of the kids was in a stroller and that child and the mother were killed by a passing train. The other two kids saw it happen.

Wow. How unspeakably horrific is that? I was stunned as I read that story, as it said the two surviving children weren’t physically hurt but were ‘traumatized’. Hell yes they were traumatized, and I wanted to go find them and give them hugs and cry along with them.

The article didn’t give the names of the lady or the children, what ethnicity they were, a description of their social status, nothing like that. I would assume since they had to walk to the store they were probably not that well off, but that doesn’t mean it was necessarily the case. What it did say was there was a foot bridge across the tracks fifty yards away.

Was the lady in a hurry? Just plain lazy? Who knows the real story of why she chose to cross railroad tracks with three small children, but she did. Too late. What really gripped me were the two kids who lived. Their lives changed forever, and probably not in a good way. They’ll surely never forget Halloween of 2009, no matter how long they both live.

I wanted to reach out to those kids and try to do something to soothe their what I’m sure is excruciating pain, but there was nothing I could do. That got me to thinking about God, and my perspective on that subject has changed dramatically over the years also. I wonder if there is one, and after seeing stories like this I’m having my doubts. What’s the truth?

The older I get, the less of a clue I have about anything. I do know a football game isn’t anything I should be concerned about so that didn’t affect me at all. Brett Favre has a fine life and more money than he could spend in ten lifetimes, and I might actually like him if I had a chance to meet him. Or not. Either way, who he works for is of no major concern.

My heart really went out to those kids. I don’t care who they are or what color they may be or even how stupid their mother was for taking them across railroad tracks. None of it matters now, does it? Those kids are ultimate dented cans and will have a rough struggle.

Some of the problems I have, I’ve brought on myself. I admit it, and I am trying to get a grip and fix what I can. These kids had no control over this, and it’s a true tragedy. I send all good vibes their way and know that my problems are microscopic compared to theirs.

No comments: