Tuesday, November 10, 2009

R.I.P. Melodie Wilson

Monday November 9th, 2009 - Chicago, IL

I was very saddened to hear that Melodie Wilson passed away today. She was one of the main TV news anchors in Milwaukee going back to the ‘70s. It’s amazing how much of a part of life someone on radio or TV can be in a particular town but it’s true. It’s like a part of a giant extended family and they become local celebrities to the rest of the population.

I’ve experienced it myself on a much smaller scale during my time in radio. I’ve been in several markets, but not all that long unfortunately. Still, I will occasionally go back for a comedy gig in one of them and have someone come up and say how they used to listen to me regularly and even quote something I said or did years before. It’s totally flattering.

Television is much more high profile than radio so I’m sure they get noticed much more than I ever did. People really do get star struck and forget that media people are just that - people. Just because someone is on radio or TV doesn’t mean he or she has no problems.

Growing up in Milwaukee, I watched Melodie Wilson on Channel 4 because that’s who my grandparents who raised me watched. They were loyal to Channel 4 and everyone else was out of luck. Since there was only one TV in the house, I either watched the Channel 4 news when it was on or I did something else. Those were my choices, and I lived with it.

Later in her career, Melodie Wilson went over to Channel 6 and I got to meet her when I was on the news promoting some comedy show I was doing. I don’t remember where or when it was, but I do remember meeting her and being totally star struck because she was my grandparents’ very favorite newscaster. I told her that and she thought it was funny.

I only met her that one time and only for a few minutes, but she really made me feel like I belonged there and we had a very good interview. She was in the studio and I was in the news room for whatever reason, but after it was over she came in and shook my hand and told me I did a good job. She was very warm and friendly and I totally appreciated it then.

I was really impressed with my brief meeting with her and had read of her breast cancer and felt horrible for her. I knew she had a family and it just seemed so cruel to have all of that ugliness to deal with. She wasn’t old and she leaves four kids and a husband behind.

It all seems so unfair. Here’s a talented lady with a family and she has to suffer like this for many years while Charles Manson continues to consume resources in prison. I haven’t a clue why this is, but I have to say I’m growing very tired of it. Can’t a good person win? Whatever force is making the rules on this pimple of a planet hopefully has it figured out.

My heart goes out to Melodie Wilson’s family, but that doesn’t really do much good. If I could do something to help, I absolutely would. But what? A comedy benefit? That’s no solution and won’t change the fact that she was courageous for a long time. I respect how she handled her situation and did it with nothing but class. I can’t say I’d be able to do the same and I truly don’t want to find out. Condolences to her family and friends. It’s so sad.

It reminds me of another Milwaukee TV news anchor named Duane Gay. I got to know him a little through Milwaukee comedian Mark Shilobrit, who knew Duane from college. They did a TV show on Channel 18 called ‘UWM News Focus’ back in the early 1980’s.

Duane was a super nice guy and we went to a few Brewer games over the years, and he and his wife would come out to see Mark at a comedy show once in a while. Many times I’d be on the same show so I’d see them too. Duane was a down to earth, wonderful soul.

He also had a long ugly bout with cancer and he passed away a few years ago. That was also very sad, but like Melodie Wilson, Duane was nothing but classy and courageous the entire way through. He never complained and in fact remained positive. He was amazing.

I don’t use the word hate very often because it’s a very powerful word. I choose where and when I use it, but I can honestly say that I hate cancer and all the destructive things it does. My grandfather died from it as did millions of others who weren’t well known like Melodie Wilson or Duane Gay. It causes pain and suffering and I see no positive angles.

The only thing I think of when hearing heart wrenching stories like these is to chase any and all dreams one may have, as the time we all have here is limited. Don’t accept second best, and shoot for the stars. Every interaction we have can turn into a life long memory.

I only met Melodie Wilson once, but it was very pleasant and that’s how I remembered her when I heard she’d passed. The same with Duane Gay. I knew him a little better but it was still very sad when I heard of his passing too. I thought back and only had good vibes from his memory. Those are exactly the kind of memories I’d like to leave with people.

Unfortunately, there are some with whom I’ve failed miserably. I didn’t intend to, but it sure ended up that way. I’ve tried to make amends and once in a while it’s turned out on a positive note but not always. I don’t have to name names, but there a few who either hope actively that I rot in hell or if they heard I died, it would get no reaction. That’s how it is.

There are, however, a whole lot more people I have been able to reach in a positive way and tonight I was able to make several good memories for several people. I was in charge of booking the talent on the Zanies showcase show in Chicago and it was even billed as a ‘Friends of Dobie Maxwell’ show on the website. I hand picked people to be on the show.

I wanted to take the opportunity to make a special show of people who’d appreciate the shot at a big club and that’s what I did. An example would be a local Chicago guy named Bubba Muski who’s a fixture at Chicago open mikes and really is a kindhearted soul. He brought his parents and both of them thanked me as did Bubba for a chance to do Zanies.

One after the other, the comics and their friends lined up to do the same and they said it was the night of their life and I was proud to have been the one to put it all together. I am by far not without faults and don’t claim to be, but putting pleasant memories in people’s heads is what I live for. Hopefully they’ll remember me fondly, or at least this experience.

No comments: