Saturday, November 14, 2009

Outstanding in Orlando

Saturday November 14th, 2009 - Orlando, FL

I lost money coming to Florida this week but I’d do it again and again and again if I had a guarantee I’d get as much good out of it as I did. WOW, what a productive trip this was, and it was topped off tonight with one of the most electric shows I’ve had in a long time.

Everything lined up perfectly and Friday the 13th couldn’t touch the vibe of the show on either night. Last night’s vibe was very good, but tonight’s was off the hook, out the door, over the rainbow and in the groove. Nobody on the show could do any wrong and it was a powerhouse laugh riot from start to finish. I haven’t seen a show like this in several years.

The audience was fabulous, and that’s where it all starts. Still, the comics are important as well. The opener could have been a feature and the feature could have closed the show. There was also a guest set who was young but very likeable, and he did a fine job as well.

We all got along as comics and nobody stepped on each other’s material. Everyone did their time and it was just a professional pleasure working with everyone this weekend, on the show or in the hotel too. The staff was very friendly and made us all feel comfortable.

The money wasn’t great, but I knew that coming in. The booker kicked in two nights of extra hotel that wasn’t part of the deal so that’s very fair. It was much appreciated and I’m not complaining about the pay. I took this gig to pay my plane fare for the TV appearance.

Everything else really fell into place this weekend as well. I can’t stop thinking of ideas for the one man show about growing up in Milwaukee and I sent out my outline to several Milwaukee friends and they had some great suggestions that are all part of the mix. I’ll be able to get this up and running in a short period of time, and have a very unique product.

I’ve always heard a writer should write what they know, and I grew up in Milwaukee so I know about that. I’ve always done everything in my power to escape and not be a part of my home town, but a lot of that had to do with my dented can past. There were some very ugly memories about Milwaukee I didn’t want to relive, but now most of that is history.

The truth is, Milwaukee is a very unique place and, warts and all, it has an identity. I am a product of that place, no matter how hard I’ve tried to escape that fact. I’ll always call a drinking fountain a ‘bubbler’ and no matter how badly the Packers stink, I’ll still root for that big white ‘G’. Rather than deny all that, I might as well live with it. It’s in my blood.

This is going to be a hell of a show, I can feel it. I tried a one man show years ago, but I wasn’t close to being ready for that then. Now, I’m MORE than ready. I’ve paid my dues and know I can pull this off in a theatre setting and I’m going to start work immediately.

All my other projects are still in the works as well, because this won’t take me off track all that much. I already know the subject matter and have some of the jokes already in my show so I know they work. I’ll just be expanding and tweaking and it will be ready soon.

No comments: