Friday, March 4, 2011

Lunch Logistics

Thursday March 3rd, 2011 - Fox Lake, IL

   Today I did nothing. And liked it. It’s taken me a couple of days to wind down from all the travel and everything that goes with it, and it felt good to sit around and do absolutely nothing. I felt like a civil servant. Now if I can find a way to get paid for it, I’ll be all set.

   Actually, I did drive to see my friend Marc Schultz for one of our infamous ‘powerless lunches‘, where we do even less. Marc is one of my favorite people to hang with because he and I are remarkably into a lot of the same things. We never run out of stuff to discuss from showbiz to sports to pro wrestling to many other things. He and I just hit it off well.

   I’m not sure if Marc is the person to be my personal manager, but he does have a lot of the qualities needed. We decided to let it play out, and see where it goes. He’s been in the business his whole life, and I trust his judgment. Plus, he’s a super person and we pair up on so many levels that no matter what happens he’ll be part of it. He’s in the team picture.

   The bad part about seeing Marc for lunches is that he lives 38 miles away and there’s no easy route to get to his house from where I live. It’s less hassle to go up to Milwaukee for me, and it’s only a few miles more. I suppose he could come up my way, but we’ve never even thought about that. We’ve always just met at his house and gone to eat from there.

   We talked about that and laughed. When I used to live in Chicago, it was a short ride to Marc’s house, maybe a half hour tops. Now, it’s a major undertaking and sucks up a huge part of the day commuting back and forth. But, Marc is a great friend and we both enjoy a break from the weekly grind to just relax and hang out. It’s becoming a question of effort.

   Marc understands that it takes a lot of time driving back and forth, and if I said I wanted to stop doing our lunches he’d totally understand. We don’t have any set schedules, but if I happen to be home on any week, he checks in and asks my lunch schedule. IF I can find a free day or any reason I need to come into the city, I try to make time because it‘s fun.

   More often than not, we do it. We’ve both had to cancel on short notice, and that’s not a big deal either. We get it. Sometimes other people join us, usually comedians, and we like that too. Anyone is welcome, and it’s just a low pressure guys time to hang and bust balls.

   Personally, I’d love to have one of those every day of the week with a different friend or group of friends. I’ve got one started on Mondays in Kenosha, WI with my director friend Mark Gumbinger, his brother Mike and Lou Rugani from WILP. We meet up at the same Chinese buffet, and it’s a blast. But again, no pressure. If I’m in town, I know I’m invited.

   Are these ‘meetings’ with Mark or the Kenosha crew productive? I’d have to say not at all. Well, not in the short run anyway. We rarely talk about anything of importance, and it mostly is a guys club tree house kind of thing. Is there anything wrong with it? If there is, I can’t think of it. Life truly is short and unpredictable, so why not take a break each week to hang with friends? It doesn’t get my work done, but it sure let’s me enjoy my time off.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: