Thursday, March 31, 2011

Quarterly Interest

Thursday March 31st, 2011 - Fox Lake, IL

   Here it is the end of the first quarter already and I’m only just now beginning to feel like I’m recovering from the rigorous grind of cruise ships and everything else I’ve been doing in this last year. I think I was more mentally tired than anything, but I did need a breather.

   I admit I’ve farted around for the last month or so, and I’m not ashamed at all. I enjoyed it. I needed it too. I was hitting it pretty hard there for a while, and I could feel right where my limits were. I don’t often push those, and I ended up sucking all my energy reserves.

   Now I feel I’m ready to get back out there and start working again. I need to have a plan in place this time though. I’ve been wandering aimlessly for too long. It’s time to put it all together and do whatever it is I’m going to do in life. This is my one big shot with a pistol that took a lifetime to load. What do I shoot for? This is my choice, so I better be careful.

   I want to get all I can out of the creative abilities with which I was blessed. I want to put my all into creating, developing and selling as many products as I can, and I can use a big seller right about now to kick things off. I’ve got lots of ideas, but limited time to work on them all. Now it becomes a matter of using my time efficiently and in the correct order.

   I have to consciously focus on my projects from start to finish, and learn to delegate the tasks I’m not good at. I have to work on one project at a time, and I have to keep records of progress so I can see what needs to be improved at a glance. These are all major steps, and it will take major change on my part to get as many of them done as I humanly can.

   That’s probably going to mean cutting back on lunches with comedians and friends like Marc Schultz, and even women I like. I love hanging out and bouncing ideas around with friends, but it’s not always the most efficient way to spend my time, especially right now.

   I need to plan my lunches and dinners carefully, at least for the next few months. I want to crank out as much and as many sellable products as humanly possible in these next six months from April 1st to October 1st, and that will take concentrated effort each and every day. I’ve got some comedy bookings then, but not that hectic out of control pace I was on.

   I’ve said all this before, and then some rinky dink gig comes up in Wyoming and before I know it I’m in my car wondering if I’ll make it. I’ve really got to stop doing that, and get to work on something that can pay off in the future. The road pays no dividends. It takes.

   I spent the last few days hanging out with some of my favorite comedy people like Karl Newyear (The World’s Funnies Lutheran), Bob ‘Wilbur’ Williams and Gary Pansch from The Mothership Connection radio show. They are all good guys, and we had a lot of fun.

   But now I choose to come out swinging in these next six months and step up my effort a little. I need to spread out more tasks to more people, and work on other things to help my life be more well rounded. If I can pull it off, this could be the best six months of my life.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: