Friday, March 11, 2011

Remembering Tom Green

Thursday March 10th, 2011 - Fox Lake, IL

   Today would have been my good friend Tom Green’s birthday. He passed away from a horrible bout with cancer too soon in 2007, and was one of the most talented entertainers I’ve ever seen. He gave everything he had in every show, and I always learned something every time I watched him work. He was a pro’s pro, and one of my favorite people ever.

   Like me, Tom could be very picky about how his shows went, and very demanding, or at least appear that way to some. I know exactly how that is, as I’m looked at by some in the exact same way. Tough. They don’t get the fact a good entertainer wants to give each audience the best show possible, and will do whatever it takes to make sure that happens.

   I still am baffled as to why good people have to die so early. Tom was only 50, and had a lot of entertaining still left in him. He loved to share the talents he had, which were both vast and varied. He lived to please audiences, and he did it over and over again. He was a big time talent stuck in a small time town unfortunately, and never was fully appreciated.

   The smart people knew how great Tom was, and I guess I’ll just have to deal with it that the old saying ‘the masses are asses’ is absolutely true. Alexander Hamilton let that rip in 1790, and it’s gotten a lot worse since then. Average people like average things, and there are way too many average people in this world to suit my taste. Tom was way above that.

   I had lunch with my web person Shelley, who like millions of Americans needs to find a job to keep her bills paid. She has kids to feed, and lost her job at Godiva Chocolates a while back and it’s coming down to the nitty gritty. Unemployment has run out, and she needs to find an income very soon. Way too many Americans are getting to that point.

   She is such a hard worker and good honest person I wish I could hire her myself. She’s a helper and a giver like I try to be, and she’s not afraid to work for a living. She just can’t find the right gig. I know she wants to do comedy, but that’s not where to look to find any kind of stability. Kids have a nasty habit called eating, and they just won’t stop doing it.

   Shelley does a fantastic job of hosting the Mothership Connection radio show when I’m gone on the boats, and I wish we all got paid for doing that but we don’t. I tried to at least cheer her up as a friend and have lunch and let her vent a bit, but she really didn’t. She’s a tough chick, and one of the sweetest humans I know. Why do good people get screwed?

   I also had an appointment with a lady who knows the guy who’s working on the website for ‘Schlitz Happened’ and applied to help me with personal management stuff. She sent me an email and asked if we could meet up and discuss the possibility of me hiring her to help me with some of the things I need help with, which are many. I was really impressed.

   Her name is Julie and she is one sharp lady. She’s a single mom and has an ex who isn’t helping, and needs to earn a living to feed her kids. She chooses to keep a positive upbeat attitude and is just the kind of person I need to help me get organized. I know she’ll help.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: