Thursday, March 31, 2011

Structure And Routine

Wednesday March 30th, 2011 - Fox Lake, IL

   Structure and routine. There’s an unbelievably fine line in humans between craving and  loathing it, and I’m still trying to figure out exactly where that line is. 100% complete and total freedom is what we all think we want, but once it’s attained boredom sets in quickly.

   How many people have counted the days until retirement from some job they hated, but when it finally comes, the thrill is gone in less than a month? They end up either dying or finding something else to do that has some kind of structure to keep their mind working.

   I’ll admit, I’ve avoided structure for the better part of my adult life and now I’m paying for it. I had a lot of fun and toured North America, but had I made a better battle plan and stuck to it I’d be in a lot better position than I am today. There IS a need for structure and routine after all, it’s just a matter of how much. It’s rarely fun, but it does insure growth.

   That’s where I am now. I need more structure in every area of my life, but not so much  that it’s going to strangle my creativity and cramp my style. I have a lot of ideas for things I want to achieve, but I’m still a little shaky when it comes to going after them properly.

   I’ll work a little here and a little there, and get a little done. That’s not close to being the way to do it correctly. Do you think Ray Kroc did that with McDonald’s? Hell no. He put a plan together and created a system, then he recreated it in every one of his restaurants.

  I have to buckle down and make a workable plan for what I’m doing, and then create my own system. The trouble is, I’ve got a lot of things I want to do. I may have to take a step back and get one going, then when that’s up I can start the next one. But that’s BORING.

  It is for me anyway. I like having all kinds of things going at once. I don’t know why I’m comfortable with it, but I totally am. Maybe it’s A.D.D. or maybe it’s because that’s what I’ve always been used to in my life. Whatever it is, it’s not working out the way I want it to so that means I’ll have to make adjustments or it’s going to continue to be a let down.

   I was supposed to have a dinner date but it got postponed. Instead, I met with my friend Bob ‘Wilbur’ Williams. He’s a former student, and very funny guy. He’s an exceptionally gifted writer, and I wish I could pay him what he’s worth to create jokes and situations for a Mr. Lucky sitcom. That character is meant for TV, even if I’m not the one to play him.

  We talked about how Carl Reiner came up with the character of Rob Petrie based on his own life experiences, but it was Dick Van Dyke who played the role on the show. He did a fantastic job with it too, and Carl was still able to play Alan Brady and contribute to the mix as well. I would have no problem with someone else playing Mr. Lucky on a show.

   Wilbur would be a great sitcom writer, but that’s just not where entertainment seems to be going these days. Still, he’s on my go to list of creative people and I’ve got a rock solid one in place. The talent is ready, I just need a project that pays to be able to hire them all.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: