Monday, April 4, 2011

Can't Get It Done

Sunday April 3rd, 2011 - Kenosha, WI

   I don’t think I was born with the organizational gene, and it’s frustrating. It’s a massive struggle every single day to keep things flowing, and more often than not I let myself drift away from whatever plan I may have made and it ends up throwing everything off course.

   If I could change it I would, and I’ve tried, but it’s not working. It’s difficult to play the dual role of planner and executioner of said plan, but I have little choice right now. I can’t hire people and pay them what they’re worth to work for me just yet, so I have to find my own way for the moment. I’ve been trying to do that for years, and I’m not pulling it off.

   Today was a perfect example. My friend Todd Hunt asked me to help him review some new material he wants to use in his speaker presentation. No problem. I enjoy hanging out with Todd, and his birthday was last week and I owed him a meal. He drove up to my part of town to go to the Golden Corral, which made it a lot easier than me going to Chicago.

   We were scheduled for a 1 o’clock meal, but I’d been up in Milwaukee the night before hanging out with comedians there until 4am. That’s what comedians do, and I can’t say it wasn’t fun because it was. That’s why we do it. It sure was a lot easier in my 20s though.

   I didn’t get home until almost 6am, and I tried to get some work done after that and did not get to sleep until about 7:30. I haven’t put in hours like that lately, and it shows. I got to the Golden Corral by 1, but was dragging ass to get there. My youth is painfully gone.

   Todd and I hung out until almost 4pm. We always have something to talk about, and he and I exchange ideas and concepts all the time. Our meetings are productive and fun and I don’t regret doing them, but stuff like that really does cut into a work day as far as time is concerned. My weekly lunches with Marc Schultz are similar. I love them, but they cost.

   In a perfect world, I’d take a few weeks or months off and get everything caught up and start completely over. That’s not practical though. Who can realistically do that? Life is a constantly evolving project, and needs constant attention to keep everything functioning.

   How can I focus on any one thing and keep everything else going at the same time. It’s impossible and I don’t see how anyone does it without hiring someone to help. I suppose some people are better at this kind of thing than others, and I know I’m on the lower rung.

   Tonight I had another Mothership Connection radio show on AM 1050 WLIP, and even though that was fun as well it also takes a lot of time. Four hours on the air is a long time,  fun or not. We had our favorite guests on, the ‘Twin Psychics’ Chinhee and Sunhee Park.

   They’re fantastic guests and have a website chinheeandsunheepark.com that’s got a lot of interesting things to offer including a newsletter. Their readings are dead on, and they fit in perfectly with what we’re doing. Still, after all that effort today it feels like I haven’t done a damn thing productive. I’m letting life play me rather than me take the wheel.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: