Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Tech No Logical

Wednesday April 5th, 2011 - Fox Lake, IL

   Well, here’s another pain in the groinal region I didn’t expect. Losing my phone contact list is turning out to be a bigger deal than I first thought. Why they couldn’t get the list off of my other phone is beyond me, but so is most of the rest of technology. I’m a dumb ass.

   It hit me head on and hard today that I’ll have to rebuild my entire list of contacts from the ground up. That’s a big task, and one I wasn’t planning on but I have no choice. This is my life blood in the entertainment business, and I’m going to either rebuild it or starve.

   I thought I had it backed up already, but I guess I didn’t. There was apparently a way to protect everything via wireless backup, but I didn’t have that on my phone plan. It’s kind of like getting into a car accident and finding out what isn’t covered. Too late by then.

   It is what it is. I know I’m not the first person to lose all contact numbers and I won’t be the last. I’ve had a lifetime of lost notebooks and computers and wallets and documents I was never able to replace so I’m used to it by now. I’ll just have to watch my back better.

   Who can do everything that needs to be done? I sure can’t. Damn, I’m overwhelmed on all sides as it is. Now out of the blue I get all my contacts taken away? That makes it even harder, but nobody else cares. They’ve got their own problems. I have to fix this myself.

   I sure tried to give it a good start today, but didn‘t get very far. I farted around with my new phone and I felt like a kindergartener looking through a calculus book. I was about as over my head as Obama is running the country and I knew I had my work cut out for me.

   I do have quite a few of my old contacts, and I sent out a mass mail explaining what my situation was and return emails started pouring in. I’ve gotten them from other people and know how it is. They just update the info and some I hadn’t heard from in a while said hi, so that was nice. It’s a super slow process loading names in the new phone, but I started.

   I’m going to build myself a quality list of people I’m working with now, and I was very careful of who I chose to load in there to build that foundation. I looked over the contacts I did have, and picked the top fifty people that I think are the biggest positives in my life.

   I narrowed those down to the top ten, and even though it took way longer than it should have, I loaded them in first. Then I did another ten after that of the best of the rest. This is a great way to build a contact list, and I know when it’s done it will be better than before.

   There’s such limited time in life it’s impossible to hang with everyone as much as we’d like so I’m going to be very careful who I choose to associate with from now on. I wasted enough time on idiots, and here I sit with my education nowhere near where I want to be.

   This is all part of life, and I choose to let this be both a learning experience and a way to improve myself by improving the quality of people I choose to associate with in my life.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: