Thursday, April 28, 2011

Radio Routing

Tuesday April 26th, 2011 - Rockford, IL/Madison, WI

   Enough with the gas prices already. Every day gets worse, and of course Mr. Lucky has to pick this particular time in recent history to drive a war pig gas drinking 1983 Cadillac Fleetwood that gets worse mileage than the Space Shuttle. But, at least I look cool in it.

   I’ll probably be living in it eventually if prices go any higher, and I can’t see why they won’t. We’d be stupid to think anyone actually cares about us poor working folk who are out here getting the brunt of the pumps right up our gas holes. For me, it’s a total killer.

   That being said, I was asked to make a return appearance on the radio in Rockford, IL this afternoon with my old friends Stone and Double T on ‘The X’. I love doing the show with those guys, but I have to think twice about going anywhere these days. It’s a hassle.

   I’m not really sure if going on with them does anything for my career, but it sure is fun so that’s why I go. I wish I had a relationship with  Bob and Tom like I do with Stone and Double T. If I did, I’d probably be a millionaire by now. I’d be on all the time in over 200 markets instead of just in Rockford, and I have to believe I could turn a buck from that.

   That’s just not going to be right now, so I’m not going to worry about it. That situation is what it is, and I’ve done all I can do to turn it around. I said I was sorry for pissing them of that badly, and I really am. But if they’re not going to accept, there’s nothing I can do.

  Stone and Double T let me go on whenever I want, stay as long as I want, and talk about any topics I want. What can be better than that in a radio situation? If I have to spend a lot on gas to get there, it’s at least worth the trip when I arrive. I had a blast with them today.

   They have a tattoo artist who spends big money advertising on the station, and the guy’s a total character. He’s funny as hell and doesn’t realize it. He’s one of those people who’s got everyone laughing and doesn’t know why. He cracked us up in the studio while songs were playing, but wouldn’t go on the air. His shop is called Euro Tattoo in Rockford.

   If you decide you need a tattoo or want to spruce up the ones you already have, I highly recommend checking this place out. He offered to do a King of Uranus logo on the air for me, but I chickened out. I don’t think tats are my style, but I sure appreciated the offer.

   After the show I drove up to Madison, WI to be a guest on an internet radio show with my friend  Steve Purcell. Steve has been bitten by the radio bug, and is part of a fun show called ‘The Bastard Den’ for whatever reason. It’s a heavy metal rock show they do once a week, but he’s a sidekick and comic relief and does a very nice job. He really enjoys it.

   They have comedians on every week, usually by phone. Steve has been asking me to do it live for months, and I know it meant a lot to him that I came up and did it. He’s a super nice guy and I couldn’t say no so at least I was able to tie in Rockford and Madison in one trip. It might have cost money for gas, but both stops made it worth my while to be there.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: