Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Cell Hell

Monday April 4th, 2011 - Fox Lake, IL

   As I went to use my cell phone this morning, the screen zapped out and turned white as a blizzard. I wasn’t able to get it to do anything else after turning it off and on quite a few times, and I knew that was the ‘game over’ signal. I’d gotten a lot of use out of it though.

   I am a flaming techno idiot, and don’t enjoy gadgets at all. Some people are first in line and pay extra to get the latest toy as soon as it comes out, but I’m just the opposite. It took me years to even consider getting a cell phone, and when I finally did I hardly used it. The land line I had worked fine, but like the rest of us the cell eventually was my only phone.

   Over time, I’ve lost a couple and had a couple others zap out, and I know I’m by far not the only one that’s happened to. I guess it’s the cost of convenience, but each time I go to get a new one, there’s been a major upgrade in the technology. I was lost six phones ago.

   I don’t think I’ve ever once taken a picture with my phone or used the GPS system. I’m old school when it comes to finding directions. Give me the streets and I’ll find it. That’s the way I’ve always done it, and I’ve survived a quarter century of traveling doing that.

   I know I’m an old fart and poo pooing technology just like my Grandma used to, but all I really want from a phone is to be able to make calls, and send text messages. That’s one thing I have embraced, because it‘s efficient. A well placed text can save a lot of hassle.

   There’s a Sprint store by my house and that’s the brand I’ve had since I first got my first phone back in Salt Lake City. I was working for Clear Channel then, and they had a group discount for all of us in the building who hadn’t gotten one yet. There were about a dozen radio stations in one building, so there were a lot of us who took advantage of the deal.

   I don’t think anyone has ever been satisfied with their cell phone provider, and I’ve had chances to switch companies but I never did. If I was a techno geek I’m sure it would be a major deal, but since I’m an idiot I’m content to stay where I am. Ignorance really is bliss.

   The new phone I upgraded to is absolutely amazing to a monkey like me. It’s loaded up with so much stuff I’ll never use, I should just give it back and buy some walkie talkies to get me by. I’ll at least understand how to use those. This is going to be a learning process, but it would behoove me to make an effort to master it. This is a big part of modern life.

   I watched the people in the store whiz around on it as they showed me how to use it and I realized immediately that the world has passed me by. I haven’t even figured out how to play the video game ‘Pong’ yet, and now I’ve got Mission Control in my hands. I’m toast.

   I wonder what my grandpa would have thought about all this? He wasn’t exactly on top of the technology of his day either. He was HUMAN, and that seems to be the one thing I see missing in all these modern conveniences. How about some imagination? Let’s enjoy life‘s simple things and have fun. You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: