Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Eyes Have It

Tuesday May 3rd, 2011 - Gurnee, IL/Chicago, IL

   Up early to go get a new pair of glasses. I hadn’t had an eye exam in a while and had no idea what it all would cost. I’ve always paid for my own glasses, and it’s been expensive. I’ve heard that a lot of people have them covered by insurance, but that’s never been me.

   I saw an ad about Pearle Vision having a two for one sale and I knew they had a store in Gurnee so I went there. I guess advertising does pay off after all, as they got my business. I don’t know eye care from jellybeans and I knew there was a discount optical store in the Gurnee Mills Mall, but their doctor didn’t come on duty until 1pm. I wanted it done fast.

  The staff at Pearle were all very friendly and I knew I made the right choice about half a minute after I walked in. They took care of me and I got my exam and first pair of glasses in about an hour. It was a lot more than I expected to pay, but what could I do? I needed it and had to suck it up and fork it over. My second pair will at least offer me some backup.

   The good news is, my prescription didn’t change all that much. It’s a little stronger, but not all that much. The doctor said I’m in good shape, and that’s good news. I’m at the age where physical parts can start to rot off at any minute. I’m well aware of how mortal I am.

   I’m also well aware of how little financial security I have, and it’s got my full attention. I’m happy with the service I received, but it really put a dent in my wallet. I’m sure I paid full retail price, and I just can’t survive doing that. I have to find some kind of insurance.

   I’m overdue for a dental visit and that’s been notorious for draining any and all savings I may have at any time in my life. I’d be driving a brand spanking new Cadillac instead of the rolling relic I have now if I’d been able to save half the cash I spent paying for fillings and root canals and all that go with it over the years. It’s not cheap, and has bled me dry.

   I don’t know what I’d do if I ever needed a major operation, and I’m playing with fire if I think I’m going to make it all the way to the end of my life without needing any medical procedures done. It’s getting to be that time where I have to think about all kinds of nasty things like prostate exams, colonoscopies and new hardware in all kinds of fresh holes.

   It sure does take the fun out of everything. These glasses were twice as much as my last pair, so I guess the two for one really didn’t have that much affect. I’ll have to hope I will be able to make these last as long as possible because I’m not going to get lasik surgery.

   It would be my luck the doctor would sneeze and weld my eye shut, and I refuse to risk anything going wrong with my eyes. I’m sure it’s safe, but so are glasses. I’m grateful I’m able to pay for them and life goes on. At least I’m in my comedy prime right about now.

   I’ve been having my best shows ever, and tonight was no exception. I’m at the Zanies in Chicago this week and we had a rocking show tonight for a full house. On a Tuesday. I’m a man of simple tastes, and that was good enough for me. That crowd was like a Saturday.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: