Saturday, May 14, 2011

Rick Uchwat R.I.P.

Thursday May 12th, 2011 - Chicago, IL

   Rick Uchwat (YOO-aht), founder and owner of Zanies Comedy Clubs has died. He was  by far the biggest supporter I’ve ever had, and it was him that ultimately kept me working steadily at the craft I’ve loved for over twenty years. He was also the ultimate dented can.

   I’m so crushed right now I don’t know where to start. Shock, pain, disbelief and sorrow are words that head in the direction I’m feeling, but they don’t come close to capturing all of it. He was truly a giant in his field, and I am by far not the only one who misses him.

   Rick was THE Godfather of the comedy scene in Chicago, and created an inner circle of solid people around him that became the Zanies family. I have been part of that family for going on 25 years now, and I’m extremely proud of it. It’s a lot more fun than my real one has ever been, and a lot more functional too. Rick was head of it, and took care of us all.

   Everyone loved him too. He didn’t always hang out at the clubs, but when he was there, he never held it over anyone that he was the owner. He talked to everyone and made us all laugh, but he also made us feel important and appreciated. A smile or thumbs up or pat on the back from Ricky lasted a long time, and made all of us want to bust our asses for him.

   The saying ‘A fish rots from the head’ was exactly the opposite of how Rick’s operation worked. We all took on his charisma and worked extra hard for him. Loyalty was without question. There are three Zanies locations in Chicago and one in Nashville, and the staffs have been in place for years. That includes management, wait staff and comedians too.

   It really is a family, and that’s unheard of in the entertainment business. The place I live is indirectly a result of working at Zanies, as that’s where we met years ago. I’ve gotten to spend Christmas and go to sporting events and forge life long friendships with the people I’ve worked with at all the Zanies locations, including Nashville. This is a sad, sad day.

   Rick was loaded with charisma, and he just had a way of winning people over. He was a Pisces, and his birthday was March 19th. I always called him on his birthday and we’d talk about life and what was going on, and I always thanked him for everything he’d done in a particular year - which was usually a lot. He told me I was the only one who ever did that.

   Rick was around when Jay Leno and Jerry Seinfeld and Richard Lewis started, and they are his peer group. Jay Leno was quoted as saying “Rick was the best.” There aren’t a lot of things to be said after that, because he was right. Rick set the standard for club owners. There are a few club owner headstones I would enjoy pissing on, but they survive. Why?

   When I had my nearly fatal car accident in 1993, Rick made sure a check for $2000 was in my intensive care room a day later. Yes, I had to pay it back, but I got to work it off on stage, and that was another way he supported me on my way back. I’ll never forget Rick’s kindness, and I can’t believe he’s gone. The entire Zanies family is stunned, and nobody’s lives will ever be the same. Thank you Ricky, you truly made a difference for all of us.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: