Friday, May 6, 2011

Shows And No Shows

Thursday May 5th, 2011 - Glenview, IL/Vernon Hills, IL

   Today I was part of a true show business lunch which included an agent, a ventriloquist, a magician and me. It felt like Broadway Danny Rose had come to Chicago and we had a blast throwing jokes and insults around the table while everyone looked at us with envy.

   There’s something about people having fun that makes others want to join in, and that’s what made it work today. It was contagious. We eventually got the waiter, bus boys, other customers and  random passers by in on it and before long it felt like a real life sitcom.

   It was all meant in fun, and that’s how everyone took it. I love it when that happens but unfortunately it doesn’t occur nearly enough for my taste. That’s probably why everybody joined in - they felt the same way. With gas prices out of reality’s touch and so much bad news everywhere I think people need a laugh break. I know I do, and today it was a treat.

   The agent was Marc Schultz, my long time friend. The ventriloquist was Chuck Field, a former comedy student who in fact introduced me to Marc years ago. The magician was a really funny guy named Dennis DeBondt who is about 6’7” and really stands out. We had everyone laughing as the insults started flowing and I can’t think of a better way to relax.

   Marc and Chuck and Dennis are as good a people as there are anywhere and I’m thrilled they include me into their group. They’ve all known each other a lot longer than I’ve been in the mix but now I totally feel like I’m an inducted member of their showbiz fraternity.

   Tonight I had a show at Zanies in Vernon Hills, IL while Gilbert Gottfried was working the Chicago club. He’ll be in Vernon Hills for the weekend while I’m downtown, and my hot streak of shows came to a screeching halt. Part of the reason may have been due to the 19 people who showed up in a room that seats 400, and that can make it hard on the ego.

   The toughest part was, about a dozen of those people were there to see me as I’d invited them from my Facebook page and other lists. If it were 19 strangers I’d be fine as I know how to work small crowds - I’ve done it my whole life. The fact that some had seen me at some point adds difficulty because I always want to do some new and fresh bits for them.

   I got laughs, but it was uncomfortable the whole time because I was embarrassed by the low turnout. I know it’s a Thursday night in the suburbs and blah blah blah but why can’t I be a draw, dammit? I’ve been doing it long enough, but all I can get to come out are 12?

   It’s got nothing to do with talent, either. I know I can pull off a great show if butts are in the seats, I just haven’t been able to find a way to do that. If they’re there already, I’ll rock the room 99% of the time. When I have to depend on my name to draw - crickets chirp.

   My friend Russ Martin drove down from Milwaukee to hang out, and he’s always good to hang with because he loves comedy and everything about it. We went out for food after the show and his positivity kept me from really feeling low. I’m grateful for good friends.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

1 comment:

Comedy said...

Broadway Comedy Club is one of the best Comedy Club in New York City.