Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Unshow Unveiled

Tuesday March 6th, 2012 - Twin Lakes, WI

   I’m doing my very best to financially back myself up to avoid another major train wreck like last week. That was beyond brutal, and it has scared me into taking action like I never have before. I’ve been on financial thin ice my whole life, with a few minor exceptions.

  That has to stop immediately, if not sooner. The buoyancy of youth used to help me pull through tough situations, but that’s fading quickly. Making those insane drives for such a small payoff has got to stop, and last week drove that point home harder than it needed to.

   I felt like Willie Mays with the Mets in 1973 or Hank Aaron with the Brewers a couple of years later. It became painfully obvious to them it was a young man’s game, and that’s becoming more and more evident to me too. There’s a whole new generation of both fans and comedians to entertain them. My generation still exists, but they don’t go to clubs.

   People my age have kids and even (gasp) grand kids. I’m right on the edge of the senior circuit, and there isn’t a damn thing I can do about it other than try to use whatever I have learned in all my years of growing to evolve into something I can use to reinvent myself.

   The King of Uranus is a fun idea, and I am working feverishly to pull that off. If I can, it will more than likely make a lot of money in a short time, but I have no idea how long the shelf life might be or where it will evolve. I’m rolling the dice, and it’s a calculated risk.

   One project that has absolute zero risk is ‘The Unshow’ pod cast. Today I went to meet with Jay Bachochin in Twin Lakes, WI to finish up a logo. I designed it after talking with Jeff Schneider, and Jay cranked it out on his computer in about five minutes. It’s perfect.

   It’s black and white with a simple font all in lower case letters, and has a red circle with a slash through the word ‘show’ in the middle, with our last names above and below that. Jay used to be part owner in a print shop, and is really great to work with. If you need any print design, video production or anything else, visit Jay at www.chumbucketstudios.com.

   As difficult as everything else has been in my life to date, this pod cast is quite possibly the easiest thing I’ve ever done. All I have to do is roll out of bed and sit at my computer and have a conversation with someone I’ve known for well over a quarter of a century.

   Jeff Schneider was the owner of The Funny Bone in Milwaukee where I cut my teeth as a comedian. We actually were chosen to fill in for a week on 93QFM when their original shock jock Perry Stone was ‘suspended’. It was a great experience, even though we didn’t exactly set the broadcast world on fire. We got thrown together and it ended up working.

   There’s just something about what we do when we get together that totally works. It’s a synergy I can’t explain, but we fit together extremely well. I don’t always agree with what Jeff says, but he sure does say it in a compelling way. We’re starting to get some listeners and an internet network has actually picked us up. Sample us at www.unshowlive.com.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: