Friday, March 30, 2012

Walking On Sunshine

Wednesday March 28th, 2012 – Rockford, IL/Chicago, IL

   When things turn out like they’re supposed to, life can be a blast. Today was one of those days, and I enjoyed every last second. Everything I did was nothing but fun, and I felt like I was totally in sync with whatever it is I’m supposed to be doing with my life. I wish every day was like this.

   The weather was sunny and unseasonably warm, and that always starts it off on a positive note. I find it rather difficult to get upset at anything on a picture perfect day. That’s why I loved living in Los Angeles when I did. I was not doing well on many levels when I lived there, but I sure did love the weather. That’s probably what kept me going. I was there about a year, and it was tough.

   Life itself is tough; at least it has been for me. Too often it seems like I’ve been trying to swim up the wrong way of a raging river and getting nowhere. I didn’t have any career luck in L. A. at that time, and in fact had all I could do to survive. It’s kind of like now, but I didn’t have income options there. There are very few paying comedy gigs in the L.A. area, and far too many comics.

   That’s also the holy land of the radio business, and everyone wants to get on the air there. I had zero contacts, so I couldn’t wet my radio beak at all when I was there. No comedy. No radio. No source of significant income. That was my experience in Los Angeles, but I still had a great time. 

   I had a lot of friends there, and every day was 75 and sunny. Nice weather really has an impact. I think if I had been stuck in New York under the same conditions, I wouldn’t have lasted nearly as long as I did in L.A. I’d still be there now if I had even a hint of a reason, but I think that ship has sailed. Show business is a young man’s game, and I spent those years developing my crafts.

   Now I’m at least getting a chance to use my skills, and today was a double delight. First it was back to Rockford, IL for another noon to 3pm shift on WNTA. Jim McHugh couldn’t make it so again I looked through my list of contacts and made a few calls and was able to put together one jam packed program. I had everyone on from comedians to UFO types, and it all came together.

   I could feel everything clicking as I hung up with one guest and brought on the next. I was in a groove, and able to hit all my time cues dead on to the second. I felt very comfortable and able to ad lib at will. For a while there, I actually felt like I knew what I was doing. What a rush that is.
   
   Tonight I was back at Zanies in Chicago, and the crowd there was on fire. They were ready for comedy, and I was ready to give it to them. I’ve spent my life preparing for situations like this so all I had to do was go up and let it happen. I felt confident and knew exactly what to do and how. It’s pure ecstasy when it’s like that, and it’s not always like that. Tonight it was, and I relished it.
   
    I’ve given up on trying to figure out why some days nothing goes right but others everything is clicking on all cylinders. Is it moonbeams and stardust? Who knows? All I know is that when it’s like it was today, I feel unstoppable. I wasn’t swimming up any rivers today; I was riding a wave and hanging ten. Location meant nothing. L.A. or not, fun is fun - and today was loaded with it!

No comments: