Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Time To Make Time

Tuesday March 18th, 2008 - Lake Villa, IL

I’m all over the place. Again. Time management continues to be a major issue and I am going to have to fight it for the rest of my life. I have no intention of being a lazy bum any time soon so I better learn to make the most of my limited time. Every day is a challenge.

The phone keeps ringing and emails keep coming and once again I can feel myself slide down the mountain and will need to catch up again. I could use a maid and a butler and a valet and a beautiful secretary but that would distract me even more. I need to FOCUS.

I was supposed to have lunch with Rick Geiser today but it didn’t happen. Rick is doing publicity for Zanies and I helped him get the job. He was a radio producer but got fired as most radio people do and has found a niche in being a publicist. I need to get one lined up for doing Uranus Factory Outlet press releases, etc. and I’ll meet up with him very soon.

Instead of knuckling down to start digging out of my pile of work I went to have a lunch with Marc Schultz. Marc is a great friend and I was hungry but I still should have taken a day to stay home and get work done. He lives 30 miles away and construction makes it an all day journey by the time I drive there and back. It was fun but I didn’t get work done.

These are the kinds of things I need to reshape a little. I need to plan my lunches so I am with someone who I need to see because it’s a major undertaking. Is it worth using up that much free time just to eat? No. I love hanging with Marc but I have too much else to do.

As long as I’m living out in the sticks where I am and gas costs what it does there has to be a change in plans. I told Marc that today and he understands it. He’ll still try to book as many shows for me as he can whether we hang out and have lunch or not. He’s a friend.

I love friends but I need to make more business contacts. Time is already slipping away in 2008 and I’m not even close to being where I thought I would at this point. I have taxes to get done and bookings to look after and tomorrow I need to drive all day to do a gig up in Superior, WI which will take even more time away from me. I am losing control fast.

I’m back in town for the weekend and all next week I am at Zanies in Chicago. I have to get caught up and will use that time to do it. The week after that I’m back on the road and not able to do anything so that’s another week shot. Now I see why things don’t get done.

One of the best feelings I’ve ever had was cleaning out most of my possessions a while back. I must have gotten rid of 75% of everything I owned and it felt REALLY good. I’m starting to feel clogged again and it may be time to repeat the process. I need to simplify.

At least I’m still doing what I love to do though. I am going from one project to the next but I enjoy all of them from comedy to Uranus Factory Outlet to baseball cards to writing. If I can just organize my time a little better I can continue to work on all of those things. It continues to be a daily struggle but I’m sure having a lot of fun so that’s not so bad is it?

No comments: