Friday, November 2, 2007

Back In The Barrel

Friday November 2nd, 2007 - Oak Lawn, IL/Lake Villa, IL

Back in the barrel this week. There is an old joke that has a punch line that says ‘Next week it’s YOUR turn in the barrel.’ If you don’t know the joke I’m not going to tell you now but rest assured it’s not pleasant to be in that barrel. It’s not pleasant to be working at the Barrel Of Laughs Comedy Club at Senese’s Winery and Restaurant in Oak Lawn.

That’s got to be THE longest name for a comedy club in America and no matter what anyone calls it it’s usually hell. Nobody in Chicago wants to work the Barrel but it’s been around for thirty years now and sooner or later everyone takes their turn in the barrel. It’s my turn this week and rather than whine about it I’ll just do my time and be done with it.

Bill Brady is the host and has been since it opened. He really is a good person and does not have a vicious or dishonest bone in his body. That’s why everyone works for him. He puts people up on stage and he lets new comedians develop and at one time or another all the Chicago comedians cut their teeth there from Emo Philips to Judy Tenuta to me too.

Working the Barrel was like a road gig to me when I lived in Milwaukee and was trying to get started in the business. I had a series of crappy cars back then just like I do now but back then they were even crappier if that’s possible. More than once I broke down getting from Milwaukee to the far south side of Chicago or back but it was a gig so I gladly did it.

Then there comes a time when it just doesn’t serve a purpose anymore. This is a gig that gives needed experience to aspiring comedians and that’s about it. The pay is not only low but if they cancel a show due to lack of people we don’t get paid. That’s not how it works at most other clubs and more than once I have driven a long way only to have it cancelled just as I get there. That’s all part of the deal when you take this gig and sooner or later it’s something we all dread. The only reason any of us do it is because Bill won’t stop asking.

That guy should be selling cars or Amway with his persistent sales pitch. He always calls and asks what weeks I have open and I can write my ticket and work any time I want. If it comes down to him bumping someone to put me in there he would so how can I say no to a guy like that? It’s like if the ugliest person in the world thinks you’re cute there is still an element of charm in there somewhere. I’m flattered to be wanted but this is just not fun.

There’s a very blue collar crowd and they talk and drink and smoke and heckle and have a super short attention span and they don’t get a lot of pop culture references past 1974. It is what it is and it’s never changed in thirty years so it’s probably not going to change this week either. I said I’d do it and I will but I really don’t want to come back to this place if I don’t have to. Bill books a few other things though so I don’t want to burn any bridges.

Tonight’s show was not horrible but not great either. Bill was out of town and there was a guest host and he let the show go super long. I got up on stage at the 90 minute mark in the show and they were tired by the time I got there. I had to slow down but still slug hard and I did about 40 minutes and got off. It was so smoky I thought I’d get a tumor tonight.

No comments: