Thursday, November 8, 2007

Fender Bender Mender

Thursday November 8th, 2007 - Lake Villa, IL

Still in a good space in my head. I know I was gushing yesterday and maybe I’m bipolar or just plain wacko but I really do feel myself getting into another zone. It doesn’t mean a problem free rest of my life and in fact today proved that. I left my Toyota parked out on a city street because my roommate had to move her cars around and someone crunched up a front fender. It’s noticeable and when I took it to the body shop near the house to see how much it would cost to fix it was $789. Gulp. I went to another place and they said $1150.

Double gulp. I had it sold already to my friend with the car lot in Wisconsin but now I’m in a pickle. He would have to fix it and maybe he could do it cheaper but I’m sure it would affect the sales price. I don’t want to lose money on the car and if that’s the case I will just keep it and drive it myself. It runs great and the scrape is only cosmetic but it is noticeable.

This is not the end of the world but again it’s another little pebble in my shoe that wasn’t expected. Do I really want to spend $789 on a fender right now? No. In fact I thought that I wouldn’t even own it at this point but now I do and the damage trickles down to me. I’m a little disappointed that nobody left a note or whatever else you’re supposed to do but it’s too late now. The damage is done and now I’m going to have to deal with it. Such is life.

I’m going to take the car on the road this week with Chicago Style Standups. Bill Gorgo and Jim McHugh and I will drive it to Iowa for two shows this weekend and it will make it there and back with no problem at all. It’s a great car and if I keep and drive it that’s ok. I will work hard and keep earning money with it and that thing should last me three years or more. It’s only got 91,000 miles on it and it’s got new tires and is loaded with options. If I get the dent fixed I bet I could still sell it outright for more than I paid for it but that isn’t a plan right now. I guess it’s the universe telling me to keep it in case my other one pukes.

None of this is killing me though like it may have in the past. It’s another speed bump in life but not a fatal head on collision. I’ll work it out and keep going. The main thing is that I keep moving ahead on the bigger things I’ve got going. I still have to do my big audition for the David Letterman show this Sunday night and dent or no dent that’s a focus point.

I also heard from a producer from the Craig Ferguson show about submitting a tape for an appearance there too. Not sure how it will work out or if one is in competition with the other but I will send him a tape too. These are the things I need to be focusing on now and not worry about cars or getting embezzled by a business partner. Those things will pass.

THAT is the kind of mindset I need to stay in and I’m in it today. Tomorrow I may have a relapse and start flipping out and hunting these idiots down but for now I’m ok with it as much as somebody can be. This is all part of maturity I guess. I like the place I’m in now.
I didn’t get a whole lot done today because I was out getting estimates and all that but it didn’t kill me and I passed whatever test this was to see if my ‘flip-o-meter’ would go off. I have other stuff brewing and can’t be bothered with minutia like this. Off to Iowa next.

No comments: