Sunday, November 25, 2007

Postal Rip Off

Sunday November 25th, 2007 - Salt Lake City, UT

Last night in Utah. I like it here but I’m ready to leave. I was able to get a lot done but I am getting itchy to get back to Chicago even though I’ll only be there for half a day before I have to start driving to Arkansas. I have to go from the airport home and repack so I can head to Zanies to teach a class at 6pm to 7:30. Before class I have to squeeze in mailing a few bills out and paying my rent and getting my mail and picking up my dry cleaning. It’s a constant hustle and there’s always something to do but at least I’m not working a day job.

I may not be rich but I’m surviving. Most people who have jobs are doing the same and they loathe what they’re doing. I love what I do and am going into the new year with a big project that could totally make me a millionaire if I do it correctly. That’s keeping me in an unbelievably positive mindset and for the first time I can remember I’m not feeling horrible about Christmas coming up. I am so busy thinking about my business I don’t even notice.

One thing I did notice was that a postal vending machine ate $41 of my hard earned cash today. I stopped at a post office and wanted to buy a roll of stamps and I got ripped off. It is SO frustrating to not be able to talk to anyone and I stood there all alone stewing that a machine ate my money and didn’t give me my stamps. I smacked the machine trying to get the roll to fall out and an alarm went off so there I stood thinking I was going to prison or worse. Maybe they’d make me work at the post office. That would be my life’s nightmare.

What am I going to do, call them tomorrow and tell them I lost $41 cash? Yeah right. If word got out they were giving away money everyone and their uncle would try that. It did happen though so I am going to try and call them but I have to catch a flight and won’t be able to until late in the day. The whole thing is maddening. All I wanted were my stamps.

It felt good to have a day off today and I hung out with my friend Jim Mickelson. Jim is a good friend who used to work at the radio station with me when I was here. Other than the fact that he’s a Vikings fan he’s a great guy and he thinks there is room for a recording label for comedy acts. I went to his house today to watch football and we talked about it a lot. I have my plate pretty full right now but he said he thinks we can make something go.

Whether any of it happens or not at least I have some hope for the future. When I get so down I feel like all hope is drained. I don’t feel like that now. I am excited to get up every morning and that’s how I always thought life should be. I am going to keep getting up and pushing ahead with all of these projects until I can’t do it anymore. I feel like I’m running late and time is limited. I’ve wasted a lot of years trying to find myself but now I have.

This was a good trip to Utah. I always seem to think straight here and the clubs like me a lot. Keith Stubbs was very nice to call me and tell me how funny I was and how much all the staff enjoys it when I’m here and that I can come back any time I want. Now THAT’S success to me. I have free reign to come and go as I please in a place I like and that’s what success is all about. My needs are met even though I don’t make a ton of money but it’s a fun time and low pressure. I will now head back to Chicago and keep focusing on Uranus.

No comments: