Wednesday, November 14, 2007

What Is Genius?

Tuesday November 13th, 2007 - Chicago, IL/ Lake Villa, IL

Another night back at Zanies downtown. It seems like I work there more now than back when I lived in the city. It’s a 51 mile trip one way from Lake Villa but it’s worth it. I love to perform and when Zanies is rocking there are few places like it. Tonight it was rocking.

There were openings at two of the clubs this week and I was asked to fill in. I am always glad to do any favors I can for Zanies because they’ve been SO good to me when I really needed it throughout the years. I have made them money both performing and from all the classes I taught but they have also paid my rent time and time again. It’s been a win/win.

Tuesday shows can go either way but tonight was really good. There were about 50 or so but at the downtown Zanies that’s a nice house. The place only seats about 120 and it’s a long and narrow room so 50 can look full. There was an odd mix but they fit together as a group. Audiences definitely have personalities as strange as it sounds. This one had their own flavor and all three of us noticed it. We were also an odd mix of performers as well.

The opener was a guy named John Bolger. He is a total hustler and I mean that in a very good way. He’s a comedian but also has any number of side writing projects going on at a time. He’s a hard worker and is making connections on both coasts and I respect him a lot for doing it. When I was on the Loop he would send me proposals for bit ideas and had an outstanding work ethic. He’s very positive and his attitude is contagious. He’s a winner.

The middle act is absolutely amazing. His name is Hannibal Burress and I can’t rustle up enough positive words to describe his comedic brilliance. I’m in awe of this kid. He’s only in his mid twenties but he’s one of the most gifted comedic talents I’ve seen in many years. I’ve known him for a while and he gets better and better every time I see him. He was just on the Craig Ferguson show and I heard he did well. I’m not surprised at all. He’s a talent.

Genius is a word that gets thrown around way too much but I really think this kid has it. People have told me I have it too but I’m not sure. I read once where the definition of it is being able to see things differently on a consistent basis. Seeing things is definitely part of the comedic process and every comedian has to look at things differently from the public.

Hannibal takes it to new levels. He’s very intelligent but that’s not ‘it’. He’s got a unique way of looking at situations and a vocabulary that would make Alex Trebek jealous. When he puts sentences together there is a definite rhythmic style that’s all his own. He happens to be black and wears glasses and his look is a stark contrast to his material which adds to it even more. I watch him on stage and he puts words and ideas together in a way that I’m in awe of. He’s got amazing ability to ad lib as well and he doesn’t let anything bother him on stage. He handles talking from the crowd extremely well and never breaks a sweat.

He has natural performance gifts that I don’t have nor do a lot of other people. He is so far ahead of where I was at 25 it’s not even funny. If this kid isn’t a big star it’s surely not for a lack of ability but there’s no guarantee he’s going to do it. Talent alone isn’t enough.

There’s also ‘the game’. Playing the game is what makes or breaks people in comedy or any other kind of show business. Hannibal Burress has a gift but unfortunately a lot of the people who pick talent wouldn’t have any idea how talented he is and it could discourage a kid like that. He will get bored with the small minded thinking and could react in a way that turns people off. Lord knows I’ve done that many times and I hope he avoids that.

I always see stories about the ‘genius’ who has the tragic ending and it makes me sad. It happened to Van Gogh and Charlie Parker and even Gorgeous George the wrestler. These people had a unique gift and were originals but their lives ended sadly and in squalor. I am hoping a kid like Hannibal doesn’t have it happen to him but he’s very sharp and has a nice vibe about him and I think he’s going to do just fine. I’m glad to see his steady progress.

I enjoyed watching him open for me but that won’t happen for long. He’s getting ready to start closing shows soon and he won’t look back. For now I can follow him but shortly people will be asking me if I know him. I do and I predicted his success before he popped. Together with John Bolger this audience really had a lineup that made for a solid show.

I am finally smart enough to know what to do with shows like this. Tuesday night is the perfect place to experiment and since Zanies is so familiar to me I have total job security. I am not going to get fired and I have freedom to do pretty much anything I want. It’s up to me to give them a show for 45 minutes but it doesn’t mean I can’t practice new material.

That’s exactly what I did tonight. I ad libbed a lot and acted out some bits and there was a woman in back that wouldn’t shut up so I had to deal with her the whole night. I did not get upset and used the opportunity to practice my heckler skills without getting mean. It’s a very delicate situation when a woman heckles because the audience can turn in a second even if it’s her fault. I’ve had years of experience with this so I felt totally comfortable and in charge. I wanted to see how close to the line I could walk without crossing it and I did. She really had stamina and would NOT shut up the whole show. Normally I’d shred her.

I did some of my regular material but I did it in a different cadence and rhythm. I threw a lot of newer stuff in too and that’s always a fun challenge to sell it like it’s a polished bit. I always enjoy the challenge of dealing with so many variables and to do it in a safe situation like being at Zanies made this a productive workshop. Plus I purposely avoided my closing bit so I could force myself to stretch out and find something else to use instead. It worked.

After the show a very attractive blonde came up and started talking to me. I checked for rings as I always do and there were none. She said she was originally from the Milwaukee area but had lived all over the country. We talked for a while and then she gave me a card because I didn’t have any of mine left. She was dressed really well and looked like she had it together. When she left one of the wait staff asked me why I would be so nice to the one who talked the whole show and I started laughing hard because I had no idea that was her.

Another story for the archives. I should have known the hottie who flirts with me after a show is always the heckler. Good thing I didn’t have a card. Maybe she’s a stalker too.

No comments: