Thursday, November 15, 2007

Network Ninja

Wednesday November 14th, 2007 - Chicago, IL/St. Charles, IL

Drive and eat. Drive and eat. That was the main theme of today and I liked it. I arranged a lunch meeting with my writing partner Rick Kaempfer and Jerry Agar so they could have a chance to meet and talk about Rick’s book called ‘Severance’ that Jerry read and liked. I am always happy to introduce two good people I know to each other. I’ve done it often.

Jerry’s program director at WLS is Kipper McGee. I’ve known Kipper even longer than I’ve known Jerry and it was me who introduced those two a few years ago. Jerry wanted a chance to do talk radio and Kipper was programming a station in Orlando at the time so as a friend I hooked the two up and they kept in touch. Kipper got the job at WLS and then a position on air opened up and he hired Jerry from Kansas City. I’m thrilled I had a part.

Kipper heard Jerry was having lunch with us and wanted to come along because he liked Rick’s book too and wanted to meet him. He brought along his copy to have Rick sign for him and it was fun to watch all three of them banter back and forth and get acquainted as I ate one of the best sandwiches I’ve ever had in my life. There’s some joint downtown that custom makes sandwiches and Kipper took us all there. Indirectly I made all of it happen.

Networking with good people is what it’s all about. It’s totally win/win. Jerry got his job and a chance to live his dream and Kipper got a good employee and looks good for having the eye for talent to find Jerry. They’re building a solid working relationship and it’s never bad for me because the higher they go the higher placed contacts I have in both of them.

It’s not bad to bring Rick into the picture either because he’s my writing partner. He has done well with his book and the better he does the better chance we have to sell our script. Then when the script sells we can get a book deal to follow it up. When we do that we’ve got the relationship with Kipper and Jerry to get it pushed on the air. This is how to do it. It cost me $26 to park my car for two hours and it was worth every penny. We had fun.

Then I dropped Rick off in Mt. Prospect at home and headed to St. Charles to meet with my grade school friend Tom Orlando. Tom now owns his own construction business and a successful one it is. He used to be in radio too and knows a lot of high powered bigwigs. I always love hanging out with Tom because we’ve known each other so long. He’s a funny guy and thinks I’m funny too. More importantly he understands the value of networking.

He loves my business idea and we brainstormed all through one of the best Alaskan king crab dinners I’ve ever had. There is a great restaurant near Zanies and we go there once a year or so and it’s always delicious. Tom will be able to put me in touch with some people who can help me move this project along. I ate two delicious meals today and didn’t pay.

I also heard from the lawyer and he said I should be incorporated and ready to start my business by tomorrow. He will file the necessary papers and I will be up and running. I had a meeting with my accountant and he gave me some suggestions and told me to keep good records which I will absolutely do. My idea is transforming into a reality. This is exciting!

No comments: