Friday, November 16, 2007

Thrift Store Therapy

Friday November 16th, 2007 - Lake Villa, IL

I took a day off today to relax and get my head together. With any luck at all I’ll be busy beyond belief with my new business and that will keep me occupied for the next few years. I hung out with my cousin Brett in Milwaukee for a while and walked through a few thrift stores. To me that’s relaxing and for some reason I never get sick of looking through junk.

I think it’s the thought of finding a gem mixed in with the junk. There’s something about ‘the hunt’ for something which has always interested me. Maybe I like making decisions. I would love to be a pro sports general manager and draft or trade players. Picking the right thing feels good and so does going to a thrift store and finding something useful that some other person threw out. It’s like rescuing a pet from a shelter. It feels good to find a home for something that was given up on. I think that’s why I like the car auction so much also.

This business is going to be the most fun I’ve ever had in my life. What’s not to enjoy? I am going to be the boss and will get to make ALL the decisions. Doesn’t everyone dream of that? Now I can prove to myself how smart I think I am. I’ve gotten screwed over for a lot of years by a bunch of clueless idiots. If it happens again that clueless idiot will be ME.

I have a chance to succeed here and I can see it clear as day. This will be great for every other ‘dented can’ around who thinks it can’t be done. It CAN and I’m going to prove it. I have a high school education and have hacked around the country as a comedian for years. I have been able to exist but not really live. I’ve had failure after failure and have been way down and depressed so many times I’ve lost count. I have thought seriously about taking a bullet on many occasions because I was out of luck and hope. Now I don‘t feel that way at all. I feel ALIVE and I’m so pumped up about this idea I can’t even sleep. It’s my destiny.

That’s all well and good but now I have to keep working at it. I felt I needed a day to be lazy and I was but that can’t happen on a regular basis. I wandered and drifted today and I enjoyed it but now I need to make a plan and work it. There should be NO drifting for this project until I can make it profitable. There’s nothing to drift to actually. I’m already here.

My work is totally cut out for me. I have a bunch of quality people all across America to go to for ideas, help and guidance. I rarely if ever call in favors and I’ve done a lot of them over the years so now I can have some come my way. I will carefully choose what I would like to come my way and go after it. I know people that have offered ‘If you ever need any favors let me know.’ Well, as a matter of fact I do. What can you tell me about business?

The best part of this whole thing is that I still get to be funny. I can still do comedy and I want to keep doing it but it will be MUCH better if I can build a draw through doing some commercials on TV and radio as ‘The King Of Uranus’. Everyone will know who that is.

This is my ‘Gilligan’. I know that going in. If I do this right I’ll be recognized in airports and restaurants and malls and ballgames. I’ll have to deal with all that goes with being the guy who says he’s the King of Uranus. I am ok with it for now but ask me in a few years.

No comments: