Thursday, July 17, 2008

Double Play Radio

Thursday July 17th, 2008 - Milwaukee, WI/Lake Villa, IL

fun today on two fronts. Drew Olson made the call to the bullpen and I drove up to Milwaukee to be on my favorite show ‘The D List’ on ESPN Radio 540. I love talking about Wisconsin sports because that’s where I grew up. My memories are vivid and deep and I’ve got a lifetime of knowledge to add to the show. Plus I love to hang with the guys.

Brett Favre was obviously the main topic of conversation and I let loose with a heaping helping of the heartfelt hammer I hit him with yesterday. I raised a few eyebrows with the guys but nobody really disagreed with me and that started people calling up to comment.

I really fit in with those guys and I love to hang on the air. Drew is an excellent host and Dan Needles from Channel 12 really knows his stuff. Sometimes Dan is the one I’ll fill in for but today it was Bill Johnson the program director. He’s a good guy too and no matter who it is I still like sitting in. Sometimes I even show up and sit in when they’re all there.

We had a special guest named Jason Wilde on the show today and he’s a sportswriter in Green Bay and covers the Packers. He had inside information and I felt like I had a seat in the press box to get all the inside scoops. Normally it’s fun to be on but today it was extra good because the energy was electric. This is a hot story and I felt the buzz all around it.

I got home and saw that I got some comedy bookings for both October of this year and February of next year. Both are upper quality bookings and that made me feel good. I will hopefully keep that trend going and be able to work on Uranus Factory Outlet as I travel. I intend to use road media to promote my business on radio and TV and sell some product.

The second wave of radio fun came when Jerry Agar sent me an email of a column that talked about how no comedians want to poke fun at Barack Obama. He asked if I thought we could do a Jerry’s Kidders segment that ONLY poked fun at him and I flinched at first but then I thought about it and said I’d be up for giving it a shot. Jerry wants us to do this.

He ran it past the program director Kipper McGee and Kipper LOVED it and wants it to be an hour segment. We usually get a half hour but this is something they both think is an opportunity to make some noise and get some attention. If they want to try it I’ll pitch in.

This really isn’t my field of expertise and never was. Politics doesn’t really do anything for me and I rarely if ever talk about it on stage. On the other hand sports IS my thing and I rarely if ever talk about that on stage either. I guess I just never wanted to go in either of those directions. It’s like a band deciding to use or not use a ukulele or tuba. It’s a choice.

I do know how to write jokes though and I know I can add something to the mix. I think the big reason why nobody jokes about him is because he’s black. Period. There’s just SO much tension about race that comedians of all kinds don’t want to go near this one. He’s a political candidate and every one of those deserves to be made fun of. I would let it rip on McCain just as hard - and we might very soon. For this week it’s ‘Barack ToThe Future‘.

No comments: