Tuesday, July 22, 2008

George Clinton's Birthday

Tuesday July 22nd, 2008 - Chicago, IL

What has rainbow colored hair, never stops touring the world and has my total respect and lifelong admiration? It’s ‘Dr. Funkenstein’ George Clinton and today is his birthday. I have always loved George’s music but what I really am interested in is his creative vibe.

Depending on what biography one reads he was born in either 1940 or 1941. Either way at the very least it makes him 67 years old and he’s still out there touring with a band that can still ‘tear the roof off the sucker’ like one of the titles of his songs says. He’s the man.

Getting to meet George in person last year was still one of the greatest thrills of my life. It was even more thrilling to have bonded with him immediately and felt a connection on a creative level. I know nothing about music and he’s not a comedian but creativity is the product of intelligence and for whatever reason we seem to be on a similar creative vibe.

Today is the 22nd of the month and allegedly that’s a big day in numerology. I am not as versed in that as I should be but I’ve read a little on it and heard radio interviews about it and the 11th and 22nd are ‘power numbers’ apparently and those with birthdays on that day are supposed to be very influential people of all kinds. George Clinton is definitely that.

Maybe there’s some truth to it. Rodney Dangerfield had a birthday on November 22nd and I can’t think of two more influential people than a Rodney Dangerfield and a George Clinton. Countless idiots have tried to follow in both their footsteps and I’m one of them.

I don’t think I have the influential power of either one of those guys but I sure did relate to them on a professional level. Rodney was my all time favorite comedian and he was an astute business man and entrepreneur but not like George. George is in a class by himself.

In his heyday in the ‘70s George managed to get record deals with several companies to record many of the same people but under different names. His musical brilliance is great but to couple that with the business smarts puts him above almost anyone else. I think he is even more amazing to still be out there touring at this age and he’s no has been either. I still enjoy seeing him work and I hope to do it again this weekend if I get a chance to go.

He’s performing at the Cubby Bear in Chicago and I’ve seen him there before. It’s not a huge venue but the boys still put on a great show and if I can free up my night I will travel into the city to see it. I also hope to bring James Wesley Jackson with me because he used to travel with them back in the day. I’d love to get a picture with James, George and me.

Even if I don’t I can still learn from how George built his empire. He was in charge and even though not everyone always got along with him nobody doubted who was the one in the driver’s seat. Good or bad, right or wrong George was the one pulling all the strings. I really think that’s the way to do it and it’s worked for him for over 50 years. He’s still out there slugging and still running the show. I hope to build my own comedy empire just like he did and get the best people available to work together and build a strong creative team.

No comments: