Monday, July 14, 2008

Kudos For Cosby

Monday July 14th, 2008 - Chicago, IL

Bill Cosby celebrated a birthday on July 12th and I know I’m a couple of days late but it still seems appropriate to write about how great I think he is. Of all the 20th century genre standup comedians I find it hard pressed to find anyone greater. He is up there with the all time greats and with the possible exception of Bob Hope I can’t think of a bigger success.

I am a huge fan of Bill Cosby and I can’t understand how anyone else isn’t. I understand that comedy is subjective but he is the one person who cuts through all classifications and is funny to the most amount of people. Young or old, white or black, city or country, he is thought of as funny or at least entertaining by the vast majority of groups. He’s a classic.

At one time or another I’ve been very fortunate and gotten to meet most of the greats of the comedy business in my lifetime. I’ve personally met Dangerfield, Pryor, Carlin, Leno, Seinfeld, Kinison, Hicks, Chapelle, Chris Rock, Jeff Foxworthy, Drew Carey and a whole lot more but Cosby is one I’d love to meet at some point. He’s one of the all time masters.

There are so many amazing things I respect about him I don’t know where to start. He’s still performing which is amazing in itself but also amazing is that he is still growing as a comedian. I saw him live only a couple of years ago and he did bits I’d never heard before and that totally impressed me. Even after all these years he is still working at his craft.

He turned 71 on Saturday and was born the same year as George Carlin. Carlin was one of the greats in his own right but Cosby probably made way more money. I don’t know it for a fact but he appeals to such a wide audience that I would think he’d be way ahead. If I am still doing comedy at 71 I’ll be in good company. Comedy does get better with age.

Today was yet another jam packed Monday. Jimmy McHugh joined us this morning on WLS while Ken Sevara was on the road doing a gig. Afterward we all walked over to the famous Billy Goat tavern for a ‘cheezborger’ and a ‘no Pepsi - Coke’. I hadn’t been over there for many years and it was especially fun to go back and experience it all over again.

Kipper McGee was able to join us as he sometimes does and I sat back and enjoyed the fact that I have known Kipper so many years and I hooked him up with Jerry a few years ago and then Kipper came to WLS and hired Jerry and now Jerry has the comedians in on Mondays and I had a hand in picking those guys too. I feel like I‘ve had a hand in all of it.

I like that feeling a lot. I don’t take credit for it other than I was able to hook people up who in turn work together well and fit in perfectly and I’m part of the mix. I love it more than anything I’ve ever done and reflecting on it made my cheezborger taste even better.

Tonight at Zanies was also fun. There were comics from all over the country and I was able to keep the show going and give them all pumped up intros and I enjoy it when their eyes light up as they hear me do it. It’s always nice to have a nice ego boost right before a set and if I can pump someone up I always try to do it. There were lots of positives today.

No comments: