Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Untangling Ropes

Wednesday July 2nd, 2008 - Lake Villa, IL

Back to basics. Again. How many times do I have to start over again? I’ve been in spots like this my whole life and I’m used to it but I never seem to get anything to fly as high as I imagine it when I first think of it. Maybe I need to dream bigger and this time I plan to.

It’s not easy to live big dreams when little things are blowing up all around on a regular basis. Trying to keep everything running smoothly is no easy task and I’m still working it out. I’ve managed to survive this long but now I want to LIVE. I thought about it all day.

Last night’s show with Tim Walkoe was as good as it gets so that put me in a very good mood. I needed that because I knew I needed to tackle some unpleasant tasks I have been dreading but needed to get done. I took responsibility for my stupidity and tried to change my direction. Nobody likes to admit a mistake but I made several large ones as of late.

I needed to get my car situation straightened out. Four cars and one ass don’t match up. If I would put as much effort into writing movie scripts as I do farting around with beater cars I would be able to free up a lot of time to do something that could actually be useful.

The Cadillac Catera is a sore spot and every time I look at it my heart shrinks. I wasn’t thinking as clearly as I should have been and now I need to face the ugly music. I started it up and it still sounded like a popcorn maker as I nursed it over to the garage near me in Antioch, IL. It was the closest guy to where I live and I totally rolled the dice going there.

First I took the Tercel over there and asked the guy behind the counter if he could check it out for me and he told me the owner needed to look at it but he was a very honest guy. I only want a fair deal like anyone else and in this situation I’m at the mercy of any sharks.

The owner’s name was Mike and he’s been in business for years and he was very much a gentleman when he explained what he wanted. He needed to look at the car and then if I wanted to have him do it he’d need a deposit but he’d go over all my options before he’d touch it. I felt pretty good about the guy so I went home and brought back the Caddy.

It sounded horrible as I pulled up and both of them came out because they heard the tick tick tick noise. They popped the hood and both agreed in a few seconds that it probably is NOT a blown engine and I felt my toenails grow because there was so much adrenaline in my body. The least glimmer of hope was like a miracle and I jumped around like a kid.

They both laughed as I was doing my funky white man cha cha dance but they said they could relate to my feelings of joy. Nobody wants to pop for a new engine especially when I just popped for the damn car. I’m not out of the water yet but at least it’s not a total loss.

Mike asked if I wouldn’t mind waiting and he could get to it next week. He will store it at his lot until then and we’ll go from there. He seemed to think it wasn’t necessarily as it seemed to me at first but he wouldn’t know until he got in there and took it apart to look.

This is a whole lot deeper than a car problem. I’ve got a horrendous credit rating dating back to when I lost that house in Utah and I have to fly under all radar. I couldn’t get any car dealer in America to float me any kind of a loan with rates cheaper than the Mafia. I’d go to the Mafia but I bet they wouldn’t even want to waste a bullet on me. I’m in trouble.

I really do enjoy buying the cars from the auction but getting scorched is always part of the equation at some point. If I dodged this bullet I’ll be thrilled but I’m going to rethink a plan of action and not do this for a while. I need to get ONE car that runs and stick with it while I build my real business which has the potential to do very well. Cars are a hassle.

Especially the ones I buy. I went to the auction to try and put the 1990 Cadillac Seville in Saturday’s field of tin but they told me I had to get a title in my name first. Ugh. Here I only drove it home and then back to the auction lot but I had to get a title in my name so I could run it through again and try to recoup at least a little of my stupid mistake of a bid.

It cost an extra $101 to get that title and that’s my idiot tax I have to pay. It sure will put a bug in my ear though and next time I’ll think it through a lot better. It will run Saturday morning and I’ll get what I get and that will be it. If the Catera is decent I’ll drive that for as long as I can. If not I’ll keep the Honda and drive that until the tires are worn off of it.

I’m learning all kinds of lessons with this. Vicki Quade took the Honda into a mechanic she knows and he advised her not to buy it so now she wants to give it back. What do I do in that situation, say no? I can’t do that and I will take it back and deal with it as I need to.

Helping people or trying to has often been a giant pain in the ass and I’ll think twice if I offer to do that again too. I have to toughen up and this is sure doing it. I will also unload the Tercel as well. I like it but all of this is taking up my precious time to work on Uranus or comedy classes or movie scripts or anything else that can make my dreams come true.

Playing with auction cars doesn’t make my dreams come true. It’s amusement and very relaxing to me but I need to earn my fortune before I relax. These are my prime years for doing whatever I’m going to do and trying to scheme a used car deal won’t make me rich.

Coming up with a hilarious concept like the King of Uranus will, or at least has a shot. I know I can pull off this character and when I do I’ll be able to buy out that whole lot over at the auction and I just might do it too. For now I’m wasting precious time and I know it.

These were two big steps today. I will get down to ONE car whatever that is and put the auction bug back in the drawer for a while. It’s fun but now is not the time for it. I need to also watch the other drainers in my life like baseball cards and buying books I don’t read.

This is a perfect time to do this. I am heading into the summer and can get into a groove for the fall and winter so I can focus on getting a holiday rush for Uranus Factory Outlet. I have a real chance with this and depending on how I handle it will determine my ultimate success or failure. Everything else is in second place or lower right now. Uranus is king!

No comments: