Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Redneck Redemption!

Tuesday December 23rd, 2008 - Chicago, IL/Rockford, IL

All kinds of delightfully positive things happened today and for a minute there I thought I’d wandered into the wrong life. Nope, this is me alright. This was the kind of day people dream about or at least I did. I‘ve been sending out good vibes and today they came back.

Marc Schultz called and said he had a check for me from the afternoon gig I did for him just this past Saturday. That was fast but I’m not complaining. He said he owed one of his other acts a check too and asked if I wanted to have a lunch. Sure thing. It’s always fun to see Marc and it’s even more fun when he buys and then has a check for me on top of that.

Marc’s other client is a very funny comic magician named Dennis DeBondt. Dennis is a funny guy who does magic rather than a magician trying to be funny so he’s great to hang with and he had some hilarious stories. He’s 6’7” and has a bigger than life presence both onstage and off but he’s a very nice guy and funny too. We had a blast and a great meal.

During our meal my phone rang and I noticed it was a Georgia number. I had a feeling I knew who it might be so I politely excused myself and walked outside in the falling snow to take the call. Sure enough, it was Jeff Foxworthy calling just like he said he would. He has always been a gentleman and a man of his word and I never doubted I’d get this call.

Jeff is a wonderful guy and has a razor sharp mind for both comedy and business. I told him how much I enjoyed his act at Pheasant Run and I meant it. He didn’t phone it in and he appreciated it when I quoted back a few of his bits I enjoyed. Comedians love to hear a piece of material made another comedian laugh. It’s a kick to get the approval of peers.

The last person that needs my approval for anything is Jeff Foxworthy but we were on a comic to comic level and we both understand how to communicate that way. I have a very deep respect for Jeff both as a comic and person too and if anyone deserves huge success it’s him. I told him that and he knew I meant it. He’s grateful for everything and it shows.

We’re on the same wavelength on a lot of things. He was telling me how when he first got his book deal and was doing book signings and meet and greets the publisher told him not to personalize anything or pose for pictures. Jeff just laughed and did it anyway and it helped propel him into the stratosphere of show business. He totally thinks the way I do.

He said the same thing I feel - just how hard is it really to sit there and have people line up to tell you how great and funny you are, take a picture with you and buy your book? It doesn’t sound hard to me and that’s what Jeff said too. He knows it’s just smart business.

We talked a little more and then he started telling me how he liked the Uranus Factory Outlet idea and how I was doing the right thing by thinking out of the box. Then he blew me away when he ASKED me if I’d mind if he’d pass my stuff along to his management. Would I MIND? Hmmm. Yeah, I guess I would. I think I’ll stay out here and struggle for the rest of my life working hell gigs and honkytonks. I just about jumped out of my socks.

I told him I’d be THRILLED to have him do that and I’d owe him everything and then I heard some of the nicest words I’ve ever heard from anyone. ‘Nah, you don’t owe me one thing. We’re friends and that’s what friends do. You need to get yourself out there so you can be seen. You’ve been doing this forever and you’re ready to go to the next level.’

I have to say I couldn’t agree any more with any of what he said. I truly try to be a good person and help others whenever I can. I don’t always succeed but many times I have and I know I’ve got some good karma built up somewhere. Today it felt like I hit the jackpot.

All I asked him for was a chance to get in front of someone who might be able to make something happen. He told me he’s been with his management since 1989 and if I would like to have a meeting with them he’d be glad to help arrange it. That’s what I’d LOVE.

He told me he’d get back in touch after the holidays and asked if I’d be willing to go to Los Angeles. I told him I’d hitch hike out there in a pickle truck if I had to and I already have a tentative approval from the Craig Ferguson Show talent booker and also I won the Zaniest Person In Chicago contest and first prize was a trip to L.A. to see a Leno taping.

It just seems like all the stars are lining up at once and I am seeing everything I’ve been working for all these years start to come together. Not only did Jeff call me today but I’ve been going back and forth with Linda Perret about teaming up on an online comedy class.

Linda is Gene Perret’s daughter and Gene was Bob Hope’s head writer for years. Gene has a comedy writing correspondence course which I’ve taken several times and it’s very helpful. This would be something she could sell in addition to that and it would be more of a total package for people who want to try comedy. It’s an honor to be asked to do it.

Then to make it even better I got another call at lunch from Eric Yoder from the Funny Business Agency in Grand Rapids, MI asking me if I could do a fill in at the last minute at L.T.‘s in Rockford, IL for a comic who had car trouble. I was off so I said I’d do it. If I can help someone in a pinch I always try to do it and I could also use the few extra bucks.

This day is one for the ages. One good thing after another kept happening and it didn’t end there. On the way from lunch to Rockford I passed the neighborhood of a woman I’ve always really had the hots for but hadn’t talked to her in a long time. She’s got a couple of THE nicest kids I’ve ever met and I really like them too. I gave her a call and we talked.

She said she was just thinking about me yesterday and was wondering how I was doing and here I call her out of the blue today. Again, I’m listening to that quiet inner voice we all have but too few of us heed. I’ve blown enough opportunities in the past. I’m listening to it now and look at the results! I wish I would have listened to it way sooner than now.

The point is I’m starting to do different things and send different vibes and different and very positive things are coming back to me. Jeff will do what he says he will and then it’s up to me to deliver the goods. No matter what happens getting his call made it a fine day.

No comments: