Tuesday, December 30, 2008

New Year's Eve Eve

Tuesday December 30th, 2008 - Lake Villa, IL

I’m still trying to figure out whether 2008 was a good year or not. It went by so fast I’ve lost track of all that’s happened. It seems like it was just turning 1999 into the mysterious 2000 and beyond and now it’s many years into the beyond already. It’s all passing me by.

I think it’s passing a lot of people by. Life as we know it is changing and it’s continuing to change at a pace most people my age can’t handle. We were on the cutting edge of this new technological age but now we’re getting laughed at by our kids for being out of sync.

We’re coming into our middle age years and our memories aren’t going to be anywhere near those of our children’s generation. They always knew computers and cell phones and all kinds of things that are taken for granted today. My grandparents used to marvel at the technology of the ‘70s as I grew up and I laughed at them then. Now it’s me laughed at.

Last night I visited Tim Marszalkowski and his family and they had a Wii system setup. Is that what the damn thing is even called? I think so. I’ve never really cared about any of the video game generation but this one is really amazing. I got to play a few of the games with Tim’s kids and they blew me out of the joint like I was a sick puppy in a dogfight.

It hit me hard that I’m not even close to being hip and trendy or on any cutting edges of anything new and different. I’m old school all the way and that’s not the recipe for what’s going to make money in the coming years. I better learn to reshuffle my cards but quick.

Uranus Factory Outlet will be a success on the internet if I surround myself with people who can help me navigate it. I’m an idea provider but as far as executing it I’m as useless ‘as pockets on underwear’ as my grandpa used to say. I feel like I’m on the wrong planet.

There’s going to be a huge generation gap in the coming years if there isn’t one already. I already feel left behind and I’m trying to stay in the race. Lots of other people are giving up and they’re the ones that are really going to be screwed. The world is changing. Fast.

I’ve got all I can handle to keep comedy gigs coming in regularly. I did manage to keep working this year even though it was a lot leaner than past years due to closing clubs and gas prices shooting up Uranus and beyond. I don’t think I want to keep living like a bug.

Security is looking very desirable to me on one hand but on the other I’ll have to take a big risk to attain it. That’s kind of ironic but it’s a true fact. Doing what I’m doing is not a path to financial security even though it has been satisfying to make a living for all of this time doing something I love. I also love to eat and have a roof over my head when I sleep.

2009 is going to be a pivotal year for a lot of people but especially me. I’m either going to hit something in show business or transition into something else to help give me a little cushion in the wallet. I have simply got to improve my financial situation or I will not like where I’ll end up. I’ve had my years of farting around. Now I need to think about security.

No comments: