Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year, Old Friends

Wednesday December 31st, 2008 - Lake Villa, IL

New Year’s Eve is a time of reflection but also a time of making future plans too. I did a lot of thinking and planning for the coming year and I’ve got all I can handle in projects lined up this year. Between comedy classes and radio and Uranus Factory Outlet I’ll have all I can handle to keep it all in a forward motion. And I’d like to have a social life too.

The woman I’ve been back in touch with up in Milwaukee and I are getting along really well. She called me tonight to wish me a happy new year and we talked for a while and it all just feels right. The time we’ve been spending together lately has been very enjoyable.

She’s always been good looking but for some reason she looks even better now. I have always liked brunettes as a rule and she’s blonde but that’s not important. She has a sharp wit and great sense of humor and is very intelligent and easy to be with. I really like her.

I received many other calls today too from all kinds of people from my cousin Brett to a bunch of comedian friends to my pro wrestler friend Bull Pain. Yes, Bull Pain. That’s his current handle but before that he was ‘Texas Hangman Psycho’ along with my other good friend ‘Texas Hangman Killer’. Only the King of Uranus would have friends like these.

It’s really funny between people in the wrestling business when they use their gimmick names in real life. Killer to this day refers to himself as ‘The Hungman’ and has for about as long as I’ve known him which is over twenty years. One time he left a message for me on my home machine. ‘Dobie, it’s The Hungman. Call me back to talk to a REAL MAN.’

Then he went off on a gay tangent saying what he wanted to do to me in the most vulgar and disgusting and graphic terms I’ve ever heard. He kept going and going like the bunny on the Energizer commercial and it must have been a good three minutes of scathing filth.

He meant it as a joke but I happened to have a woman over when I played that message back and she shot me a look that I‘ve never seen before or since. It‘s really funny now but it sure wasn‘t at the time. What put it over the top was him calling himself ‘Hungman’.

I know Killer’s real name but I still call him Hangman. I know Bull’s real name too but to me he’s just Bull. If you look him up he looks like a maniac but that’s the plan. It’s his bread and butter and he’s great at it but he’s a guy I’d trust with my last buck and my first born. He’s a wonderful kind gentle soul and him calling me today really cheered me up.

He said he just had a wrestler friend of his die of cancer and he wanted to call to say he appreciated my friendship and wish me a happy new year and I wished him the same and told him how much I’ve always liked him too. And it’s true. He’s got a solid gold heart.

As I get older friends like Bull and the Hangman and spending time with this woman is what I’m finding out life is really about. Fame and fortune sound cool and I’d love to give it a shot but only if I can keep the good people in my life. THAT would be a happy 2009.

No comments: