Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Class Action

Tuesday January 27th, 2009 - St. Charles, IL

Back in the teaching saddle again. Last night I had a free class at Zanies in Chicago and tonight it was another one at Zanies in Pheasant Run. I need to get some potential student candidates lined up and in the past having a free class worked very well to attract leads.

These past two nights did too. People came out to sample what the classes are all about and once I can get them in the door I can usually sell them on my teaching abilities. I love to teach because I love to learn and I’m also teaching a subject I’m very passionate about.

Last night’s batch was very nice but many of them couldn’t attend this next session so it may have to wait another month or even two. That’s how it goes and I’m not disappointed at all. I remember starting out years ago it was the same way. Some months we did a class and some we didn’t. Then after a while it got to the point where there was a waiting list.

People have lives and I understand that. It’s not that they don’t want to sign up for class but many times it’s on the wrong night or they can’t afford it right now or their work is an obstacle or lots of other legitimate reasons. I just want to offer them a chance to come out and sample what they’ll be signing up for. I find it to be an excellent way to get business.

Tonight’s class was really fun. We had a super mix of people from all walks of life and it all came together perfectly. One of my former students Kathy Romanowski has been an important part of getting me back on track as has Rick Piccolo. Rick is an aspiring comic who offered to help me market the classes if he could sit in and take them and I said yes.

I probably could have done something like this years ago but I never wanted to feel like I was exploiting people. As I now know they don’t feel exploited at all. They LOVE to be a part of the program and I should have figured that out a long time ago. Back when I was starting if someone offered to let me help out with a comedy class I’d have totally done it.

Kathy and Rick are helping me with marketing needs like having a presence on Craig’s List and putting up a batch of posters around the area and lots of other necessary leg work I don’t really want to do but is an important part of letting people know what I’m up to.

They have both been great to work with so far and they are eager to make this work just like I am. They want it so they can sit in the classes and that’s ok with me. I don’t mind at all as long as there are students in the seats when I show up for class. That’s the fun part.

Finding them and trying to keep classes filled every month isn’t fun at all. I don’t like to do anything but teach but if I’m going to continue to grow I have to get the word out to all those who want to experiment with standup comedy. Kathy and Rick have been helpful.

It’s up to me to deliver the goods though. I know what I’m talking about and can keep it interesting or at least fast moving so people can and will get more than their bang for each buck they pay to be there. I take that seriously. I don’t ever want anyone to feel cheated.

No comments: