Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Mothership Is Flying

Sunday January 11th, 2009 - Kenosha, WI

If there’s one thing I’m not guilty of it’s lack of projects. If I get bored with one there’s always two or three others sitting around waiting for me to pay attention to them. Tonight it was another ride on the Mothership Connection radio show on WLIP in Kenosha, WI.

I’m finding myself really having fun with this project and tonight we had another killer show. I asked my Elvis impersonator friend John Lombard to come on since it’s the week of Elvis’s birthday and put to rest whether or not Elvis is actually living or dead. That’s a pretty safe conclusion but we had to add a paranormal angle to it to make it fit our format.

Actually I don’t have to do anything at all. I have freedom to basically kill two hours of air time on a Sunday night but I want to make it a good show. When the new Batman film came out we had a Batman expert on who was very entertaining and it made good radio.

Elvis rumor and hearsay is always good radio and John is a great guest. He’s funny and sharp and knows Elvis trivia inside and out and he came through like I knew he would do. I’m finding myself feeling very much at home as an interviewer and this is good practice should I ever get into a radio or TV situation where I need to be the host. I can handle it.

I’m building a nice list of guests and I hope I can keep the show going for a while. I am very familiar with how radio can work and every week I go in the station half expecting a new person to be sitting in my chair doing a bowling show or a polka music countdown.

I’m much better able to focus on this show now that the Jerry’s Kidders segment is over on WLS. I had a blast doing that too and it was heard by a much bigger audience but to do both back to back was getting quite hectic. Then going to Zanies to host that showcase on Monday night made it all a big blur. By Tuesday morning my brain was a big pool of goo.

I guess it’s a big pool of goo anyway but all that going on made it gooier than I intended it to be. It’s more manageable for now and I can feel growth happening steadily. I love the fact that I’m able to arrange the topics and guests and pull off two hours of weekly jabber.

I’m a tough critic and if it sucked I’d complain about it but this doesn’t suck at all. I can feel a nice flow happening between myself and the co-hosts and guests too. This is a very encouraging sign and if we continue this development there is no limit to our potential to take it a lot farther than two hours in Kenosha, WI. I really think this show has some legs.

But even if it doesn’t it’s still fun to do for now. I love creative freedom and this is one of the most fun things I’ve ever been a part of. It’s wild enough to keep my interest but in touch enough with the public to keep them listening. This could be my gateway to them.

Before now I haven’t been able to break through to the masses for whatever reason. I’ve done my comedy and been able to make a living at it but never achieved any kind of fame on a national basis. Maybe the Mothership Connection has a one way ticket for Uranus.

No comments: