Monday, January 12, 2009

My Biggest Adventure Begins!

Monday January 12th, 2009 - Chicago, IL

I opened my email today and there was a hefty new batch as there usually is. There was one that stood out a lot more than the others though. I noticed I’d received one from Jeff Foxworthy’s management people and my whole hand quivered as I slowly clicked on it.

Jeff said he would make a call and I never doubted he would but seeing this email in my inbox made me shake with nervousness for some reason. Why is that? I wish I knew but I felt chills up my back before I clicked on it. It was like I’d been nominated for an Oscar.

It was from a woman named Maggie who was very pleasant and asked me ‘if I wanted’ to send her out a promotional package of what I do. IF I wanted? I felt like asking if she’d let me fly out and put it on her desk in person tomorrow morning at 9:01am. But I didn’t.

I politely answered and thanked her for getting back to me. I told her I’d gladly send her a package as soon as possible and she’d probably have it by the beginning of next week. It was the first step of what could either be my biggest break or my biggest disappointment.

Either way I am going to follow through and do whatever Maggie tells me to do. This is a very delicate situation and I have never had a chance like this before. I don’t want to get off on the wrong foot with anyone and the best way to do that is to not follow directions.

The other thing I don’t want to do is over think any of this. Jeff is a great guy and is one of the classiest people I know in the business. He recommended me so that has to mean a lot to Maggie or anyone else he passes my name to. If Jeff didn’t give me the thumbs up I have to believe I wouldn’t have gotten this email today. Now it’s up to me to make good.

I am a very strong comic and if they want me to showcase for them in L.A. or anywhere else I will blow the room away. They’ll be smart enough to spot my experience but what I don’t know is will they have a place for me in what they’re doing? That’s not my call and beyond my control. All I can do is present myself to them and then hope they can use me.

I’m SO ready for this. I’ve been waiting my whole life to have a chance to get myself in front of someone with clout who can make something positive happen and this just might be it. All I need is one person that has the power to like me and I’m on my way in a flash.

But this is where the dented can in me can come out at the wrong time. I talked to Max in Springfield recently and he said the same thing. It’s not always easy to focus on a good situation when there have been so many not so good ones in the past to draw memories.

Sometimes we think as dented cans maybe we deserved those bad things we got but it’s absolutely not true. I don’t believe that now and I need to focus on the good. I absolutely do think I deserve this shot right now. I’ve paid my dues over and over for years and now it’s time to get paid back. I’ve worked and struggled and sacrificed everything to get here and I won’t let a dented can past steal this from me. Maggie WILL receive that package!

No comments: